How bad are the hotels in Sorong (and Sorong in general)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, I have been back from RA already. RA itself is fantastic (and so well worth the trouble) but travelling there and back is hell (and I was only travelling from Hong Kong!). The Express Air planes were never really clean properly, and yes the Sorong airport is just.... absolutely disgusting. Vast number of sweaty men chain-smoking in the most jammed packed waiting room in the world. I saw several rats running along the electric wires loosely hanging on the wall of the waiting room. Really makes the Makassar airport seem oh-so-modern.

However the JE Meridien was actually ok. It reminds me of a decent guesthouse in China circa 1990 (I am chinese so that's my best point of reference). The sheets and the floor in my room are clean (albeit spartan), and the water actually runs fine in both the shower and toilet. TV is working with only 1 English channel. The breakfast offered was not tasty but clean and edible. The car dealership in the lobby is gone now so now the lobby is actually quite empty with only the ATM + snack stall left. It's really quite a treat comparing to the airport! I actually posted some hotel photos on Tripadvisor if anyone is interested.

Hi guys, I have been back from RA already. RA itself is fantastic (and so well worth the trouble) but travelling there and back is hell (and I was only travelling from Hong Kong!). The Express Air planes were never really clean properly, and yes the Sorong airport is just.... absolutely disgusting. Vast number of sweaty men chain-smoking in the most jammed packed waiting room in the world. I saw several rats running along the electric wires loosely hanging on the wall of the waiting room. Really makes the Makassar airport seem oh-so-modern.

However the JE Meridien was actually ok. It reminds me of a decent guesthouse in China circa 1990 (I am chinese so that's my best point of reference). The sheets and the floor in my room are clean (albeit spartan), and the water actually runs fine in both the shower and toilet. TV is working with only 1 English channel. The breakfast offered was not tasty but clean and edible. The car dealership in the lobby is gone now so now the lobby is actually quite empty with only the ATM + snack stall left. It's really quite a treat comparing to the airport! I actually posted some hotel photos on Tripadvisor if anyone is interested.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I agree with everyone comments on the airport. I hate it and I was born here in Indonesia. So not civilized and its embarrasing!!!! Not to mention the airline delayed 3+ hours ... humpf ..... recently the minister of transportation issued new regulation for any plane that are delayed 4+ hours, passengers are allowed for seriously big compensation, though I don't know specifically what kind compensation will be given.

Hi all,

I know I should be starting a new thread, but to be honest, I can't work out how to do it...

We are going to R4 in only 3 weeks!! But have a layover in Sorong overnight and a day (to let our bags catch up with us if necessary). Hoping that the Sorong Airport is not the only adventure to be had. Is there anything at all to do in Sorong?

Also are there at least some shops where we can do some provisioning, eg purchase alcohol and snacks? Or should we do that at Manado airport? I don't think we will get a chance to go into Manado proper.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom