How bad is it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy, my 50 weight limit is sooooo gonna take a hit if I can't carry my camera and regs on the plane...I mean a girl still needs her shoes (multiple) ya know.

I think I'll just check it and wrap up the 2nd stages in a t-shirt or something. If anything goes terribly wrong, I have insurance. Being a diver definitely makes travel a pain. I'm never really comfortable until the flight is over and I have my bags unpacked.

Jon C:
... Has anyone traveled since and had a hassle with their camera gear?

Jon

On my trip I had the usual iPod, Active Noise Canceling Headset and Digital Camera. All in carry-on. No problems at all. As a matter of fact; due to the new rules traffic seemed to be way down and TSA was faster than usual.

Well, except for the Intructor/Trainee combo who examined every item in everyone's bag at least twice. Everyone, including fellow workers, were happy for the rotation!

Well, my bags are all packed ... the only carry-on stuff is gonna be my camera and my laptop ... everything else gets checked.

I have always checked the reg ... packed in a padded reg bag ... without problems. The only gear issue I've ever had was coming back from Roatan last year ... when they "inspected" my gear bag they repacked my backplate sideways, after carefully protecting the metal plate by wrapping the wing around it. When I got home I had several nice cuts in the wing. Since then I always separate the wing and plate and pack them separately ... with my wetsuit sandwiched in between 'em.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Had my charger damaged and a severe amount of pressure put on the camera housing coming back from Cayman. The handles were shifted on the housing base by an inch or so and cracked the plastic case of the charger. Took a significant amount of pressure to do this - enough to damage a reg if it were in the wrong place. Will be going Pelican or similar next trip. Didn't want to, but these were very well packed and protected - prior to the inspection at least.

Jon C:
My concern, after the idiots in England tried to suck us all into their cowardly, suicidal stupidity, is whether cameras were now required check-in candidates. Has anyone traveled since and had a hassle with their camera gear?

Jon
What exactly are you referring to with this statement? I don't like being called an idiot, or cowardly, stupid, or suicidal! In my experience with airline security (very extensive), the only people worse than the Americans for making you jump through hoops to get on a plane are the Israelis. Even though what I privately think about such things isn't fit to print on any public board I keep it to myself.

I would appreciate it if you would do the same.

By the way....the British have been living with terrorism (some of it American supported) for YEARS longer than the US. Maybe we should start photographing and fingerprinting everyone who wants to enter the UK no matter who they are and what they are coming for - just like the US does. What's good for the goose and all that.....:eyebrow:

Kim:
What exactly are you referring to with this statement?
I'm thinking (hoping) he was referring to the terrorists they caught, not the English in general.

Jcsgt:
I'm thinking (hoping) he was referring to the terrorists they caught, not the English in general.
Hmmmm.....anything is possible I suppose, but as it reads right now I have to find it a tad insulting! I'll join you in hoping that it's come out the wrong way and isn't what was meant! :wink:
If it wasn't directed at all of us then I'll start packing away my feathers!

All my gear is pretty well traveled and I ALWAYS check. You have to figure that the airlines do an extremely good job of tracking luggage with the new security requirements. I have never had an experience where they didn't "know" where my bag was. It might not have made the connecting flight, but they know where it is.

That being said, I use large zip ties and zip tie my zippers closed on my checked baggage. I clip the 'tails' of the zip ties off short so they are barely noticeable and an extreme PITA to remove. That way everyone stays honest. If security wants to cut them to inspect they can (and sometimes do) but 95% of the time they replace the zip tie they cut with a new one. This method is very effective when flying to less developed countries.

Darnold9999:
Had my charger damaged and a severe amount of pressure put on the camera housing coming back from Cayman.
Do you think the damage was caused by the pressure in the plane on by poor luggage handling (or luggage beeing crushed?). I always try to put my hard gear well padded in the middle of the suitcase. I never measured but I am sure that it can take tons of crushing without any problem.

My only fear is the manual check of the content, displacing it and exposing the fragile part to the external layer of the luggage.

I check everything in but my camera kit, dive computer and mask. This way, even if the luggages are lost, I can get in the water and do sometinh interresting :D

Back
Top Bottom