How come Discovery scuba is so expensive in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are both great, I dive both regularly, I've lived both places FOR the diving, you'll have fun. And if conditions are too rough for diving, DO the Everglades airboat ride, it is a blast!

I'd check out Billie Swamp Safari, they had an airboat and a land tour, they are both awesome.

Giving the choice between FLL and Key Largo, I thought KL is the diving capital of the US.

Also, in FLL I'd probably take my kids to an airbboat tour of the Evergrade before diving.

Debatable point - yes, the upper Keys offer great diving, and a ton of diving infastructure - but the best diving in the USA, especially for more experienced divers (although I can't count the number of students I've seen on basic checkout dives there) is in Palm Beach county, actually - Jupiter and Boynton - Jupiter especially - are world class.

The wildlife you are very lucky to see in Key Largo is a regular occorance in Jupiter - the reefs are super, but much deeper - there is no site in Jupiter that averages 30' - they are 60' - 90' and often the current is strong - not this trip!

But based on your posting's, the Keys offer what you are looking for: shallow, easy dives.

And PS The Everglades, and numerous airboat rides can be accessed from Homestead - just North of Key Largo - and Miami - so if the weather does not smile on you, or you just want to see the Everglades before they pave it over (kidding - its a a national Park!), you can do so from KL, which overall is going to be your best destination in FL. :D

Last edited:
I really don't like the cold weather. I also catch a cold easily if I'm not kept warm.

Colds are caused by viruses, not temperature.

So St. Lawrence has good diving. At a Toronto dive shop, they guy told me about diving in Lake Ont. In the heat of the summer, one needs to wear 6-7mm inside and outside (i.e. 14 mm in total) or dry suit. Wear 30+ lb of weight. Get to a thermocline at 30', and when you get to 60' it's dark, muddy, low viz, hardly see any fish, but may see sponges. Although many people kept saying Ocho Rios has poor diving, Ocho Rios sounds many times better than Lake Ontario.

Yeah, freshwater diving is awful. You should avoid it at all costs.

Terry

Snorkeling in the Keys is awesome! If I had some sort of problem and all my diving was cut out on a Keys vacation substituted by snorkeling.... It would not be that much of a big deal.

There are some great things to see < 20'

Snorkeling in the Keys is awesome! If I had some sort of problem and all my diving was cut out on a Keys vacation substituted by snorkeling.... It would not be that much of a big deal.

There are some great things to see < 20'
You say that only because it's true! :D

One other thing to do if the weather turns too bad for a boat dive, that many would poo-poo, is snorkeling in Pennekamp Park's lagoon. If you snorkel along the mangroves in a couple of feet of water, you will be AMAZED at what you can see there. Also there are often manatees in that lagoon, and I often saw schools of tarpon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom