How common are OOA incidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was once with a group of divers, one of whom forgot to change tanks before the second dive and had an OOA right away.

That's all.

I have known people who have intentionally gone OOA near the surface while filming something really great that appeared right at the end of the dive, but they knew what they were doing and easilyascended when it happened.

I am a total newb here but this weekend I got my OW. My instructor was also working with a feller who just got a new air2 system and we practiced using it. I would simulate being OOA and he would hand me his primary and use his backup. Despite having to ascend right next to each other it really wasn't bad at all.

I have known people who have intentionally gone OOA near the surface while filming something really great that appeared right at the end of the dive, but they knew what they were doing and easily ascended when it happened.

I've done it once on purpose to see what it was like. It was part of the plan - to run out in 10 feet of water at the end of the dive.

Greetings Sloop and just take it easy and relax. Your situation sounds much like my own I am very interested in DIR configuration and advanced training but my wife is perfectly happy with her Rec. set up and diving. No big deal! We have learned to work it out. There is nothing wrong with your excitement and desire to try new things and there is nothing wrong with her desire to remain where she feels comfortable.
The biggest reason to change your configuration is to make it easier to share air whether in a emergency or just LOA situation, free flow, 0 ring failure.
In my time as a DMC I have only witnessed LOA situations, a few free-flows, and only 0-rings at the surface. If you are trained and practice your skills adequately you are going to be fine. Always dive with in you and your buddies comfort zone talk it over in the dive planning stage while preparing to dive.
Please by all means continue to research and remain excited just relax and temper your zeal to your wife and give her some time to get used to different gear configurations. It will all be fine just relax and enjoy diving with your wife it is truly awesome to share the experience with your life partner. I am a lucky man my kids are interested in diving to so I get to do family diving! Very cool indeed.
Good luck keep us posted and I am pulling for you!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I was once with a group of divers, one of whom forgot to change tanks before the second dive and had an OOA right away.

That's all.

I have known people who have intentionally gone OOA near the surface while filming something really great that appeared right at the end of the dive, but they knew what they were doing and easilyascended when it happened.

That guy you were referring to in your 1st statement, I would not classify him as the sharpest shovel, well you know where I'm going I believe.....

In my 50 dives we have got 1 free flow which required sharing and I had 2 buddies on a close call (100-200 psi at the stop) In one case one of them was not paying attention to the gauge and was solely relying on his buddy.

Both had PADI black cards ...
Is that the credit card that requires you to spend $150k a year? Stylin'. :wink:

Did you read his post? He is thinking of configuring his gear with a long hose. The main rationale for that, repeated on the Scubaboard about a million times, is that it allows for more orderly air-sharing--a rationale he has accepted. Now he wants to know how common an out-of-air situation is--a logical question. Why do you have to hit him with this Socratic questioning when his original post is quite clear?

Yes I did read his post. I guess I came out a little stronger than I should of but my reply addresses this:

I thought it would be a good idea to switch to a necklace setup with a 5 ft primary, just in case anything ever happened with an OOA situation

What I thought I read there was an acceptance of the fact that an OOA situation will occur and that he wanted to go with the long hose as a way to prepare for that.

What I would contend is that OOA is one of the most avoidable problems in diving and if you ever get one or not is largely a question of skills.

So I thought he was looking for gear based solution to a skills based problem.

Ok, that said, vladimir, your reading of his question is probably closer to what he was actually thinking, I guess.

R..

I've had two OOA incidents.

One was caused by a faulty gauge, the other was pure stupidity on my part. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom