How deep can I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
That's the profile of the north line at alki, and then the line run in reverse. It's reasonably symmetrical, but you can see that the scooters were starting to tire out on the way back...

All the bumpiness at 10 fsw is us doing bottle switching drills and OOAs...

I've seen the lines but never really understood them as in why do you need to follow a line while on a scooter. I know it for practice but practice in what way? Just practice using a scooter since it can't be practice in following a scooter line (I don't think)?

Inform me :14:

Its safe to say the Titanic is too deep. So I gave up on that idea and we are lingering around 30ft as casual traveling Divers :wink:

Holy Moly TomR. I thought I made it real clear that I wouldn't even attempt it without a DM and now you got me Cave Diving. Did I take a course that I don't remember? :)

I don't remember saying I was going to do it on dive 1 either. But after getting 10-12 dives in I think I might be ready to explore and extra 10 ft or so if everything has gone well during the week don't you think? Everyone has said get more experience, how do you do that if you don't eventually do it with a cert DM????????

I'm wore out.....where's my reg, I need a hit. :)

Working2Hd:
Holy Moly TomR. I thought I made it real clear that I wouldn't even attempt it without a DM and now you got me Cave Diving. Did I take a course that I don't remember? :)

I don't remember saying I was going to do it on dive 1 either. But after getting 10-12 dives in I think I might be ready to explore and extra 10 ft or so if everything has gone well during the week don't you think? Everyone has said get more experience, how do you do that if you don't eventually do it with a cert DM????????

I'm wore out.....where's my reg, I need a hit. :)
Like I said, you'll do fine. :thumb:

gcbryan:
I've seen the lines but never really understood them as in why do you need to follow a line while on a scooter. I know it for practice but practice in what way? Just practice using a scooter since it can't be practice in following a scooter line (I don't think)?

Inform me :14:

The nice thing about the line is that if you get separated you can find each other. I found this out on our scooter workshop when the guys teaching it took off, then both my buddies took off -- while I was still trying to clip my SPG back on, bring my scooter around and gun it. By the time I was on the trigger 20 seconds had gone by and they had disappeared... With the line I knew exactly where they were, though, they just needed to come off the trigger for 20 seconds so that I could catch up. The line is actually quite functional -- particularly if you're getting dive bombed by harbor seals and viz gets bad.

Plus it also can be used to teach line discipline and running line at depth, using scooters. The more advanced guys use it as cave practice. Since they drop their deco bottles and don't carry them below their MOD, when they are 12,000 feet from their deco bottles, surfacing directly and taking the explosive deco hit is no longer really an option, so the dive needs to be planned and run like a dive in a cave.

For us, its just yet more task loading. Now we're scootering, with deco bottles, trying to learn to check our SPGs on the fly and maintain good light discipline while on the trigger. Next stuff is probably to start playing with line down there and fixing the breaks and tightening up the line -- and you can do some really amazing line tangles with a reel, a light cord, a tow cord and an SPG (haven't tried to tangle myself up while carrying a deco bottle, yet, but I expect that'll be coming soon enough...).

lamont:
.. trying to learn to check our SPGs on the fly and maintain good light discipline while on the trigger. ..).

Real divers 'know' what their usage is..........:1poke:

Seriously, nice work man!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom