How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on where I'm at and what I'm doing. In general I try avoid going deep but sometimes I don't have a choice, and if I go deep I prefer a multi-level dive, not a square profile which is also hard to avoid sometimes.

225 is the depest I've been, the average depth of my dive's is probably 100' simply because I dive in the Northeast and most of the "good dives" are in 90-120' of water and very square profiles. Most of my dives travelling rarely go below 90', there's just so much to see at shallower depths there isn't a big "need" to go deep and besides, the deeper you go the shorter your dive. So...in short if I had my druthers I'd like most of my dives to be in the 45-75' range.

As a new diver, I came out of the swim through at Mary´s Place in Roatan and as I shot out over the wall I did not have great control of my bouyancy. When I noticed I was at 139' I began an immediate but controled ascent to the rest of the group. Woops!

NWGratefulDiver:
Good idea ... and given the PM's I received from my earlier post I suppose I should mention that I was using double 119's with 25/30 and an AL40 with EAN50 in it.

If you wanna go deep, get the training first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Absolutely. (For the record, I did have a 40 cf pony slung, but, yes, it was still dumb.)

NWGratefulDiver:
... from now on anything deeper than about 110 is gonna be on a mix that has some helium in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Really? 110? It's funny, but I've been way more narced at 90 than I have been at 130+. But that was situation dependant, I suppose- if the same conditions occured at deeper depths, I guess I would have been that much more narced. (night dive, poor vis, equipment issues, buddy stress, etc. That wasn't a fun dive.)

Ocean One:
It's posts like this that encourage taking unnecessary risks for a "PATCH" that gets new divers and dumb old divers killed. Keep up the great work and hope to live to earn another "PATCH" WooHoooo!!!!
:confused:

... care to explain who you're responding to, and why?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ocean One:
It's posts like this that encourage taking unnecessary risks for a "PATCH" that gets new divers and dumb old divers killed. Keep up the great work and hope to live to earn another "PATCH" WooHoooo!!!!

draperb@hcsmail.com I did 130' for my deep diving specialty dives on Nitrox 30% I believe. I'd have to check my log book to be sure on the mix percent. Each dive I was down at 130 long enough to do a few drills and some quick math.

OceanOne, I'm assuming that you were directing your post at me. :confused: However, I choose to not be offended by your comments. :popcorn: By "patch" I will also assume that you're referring to a PADI specialty, but this was a SSI specialty. Of which SSI requires that a diver certify in (4) specialties before they can achieve the AOW certification. If you are calling my dive plan into question maybe you should ask some specific questions before passing judgment. Yes, I did two repetitive deep dives and yes I did utilize a safety stop, pony tank and a surface interval. My profile was done well within limits.

However my usual max limit is 100', with an average dive depth of 60-80'. I don't think that any of us are telling divers that (a) have 10 dives under their belt or (b) have 200 total dives and have been diving for 20 years but only make 10 dives a year to jump in the water and drop to 130' or 234'. People that do things like diving to 130' or diving in zero vis, etc. should seek out training from a qualified instructor before engaging in such tasks. :D So, I'm going to assume that you just didn't have enough information to make your statement.

169 conducting anchor inspections in Lake Travis, Tx.
160 recovering body of diver lost for 17 years, Windy Point, Lake Travis, Tx.

In each case there was no ambient light and on the recovery, zero vis.

Lake Travis can be bad juju...

Lake-Rat:
169 conducting anchor inspections in Lake Travis, Tx.
160 recovering body of diver lost for 17 years, Windy Point, Lake Travis, Tx.

In each case there was no ambient light and on the recovery, zero vis.

Lake Travis can be bad juju...

Whoa.... Sounds spooky. Were you on mix or air?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom