How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know that sport divers should limit their dives to 120ft or less. But many times there is something you really want to see at a greater depth or maybe you just want to prove something. The deepest I have gone on a regular dive was 130ft. doing a tunnel dive in Grand Cayman (tunnel started at 80 at the top of the reef and came out at 130 on a wall). The deepest I have ever been was a 200 bounce dive in Florida to earn a "deep diver" patch and certificate from a NASDS shop in 1972. I swam down a rope to pull a flag off at 200ft. ....... had a safety diver at 50ft. and another at 100ft (this was a very planned dive).

Being still just 'reborn' into the sport of just a few months....the deepest dive to date is 85ft.. I hope in the next few weeks to do a 100+ft. dive.

94 feet, a rock fish was down there. First one I spotted on my own.

Unless there is something to see, I don't have much desire to go there.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
Unless there is something to see, I don't have much desire to go there.
Ditto.
Deepest ever was 140 on Columbus Isle (San Salvador) in the Bahamas... coming out of a tunnel at about 135 and saw a cool coral formation I wanted to check out.

My favorite site is Farnsworth Bank on the back of Catalina. Been out there at least 8 trips for about 15 dives... always been deeper than 80 and never been deeper than 110. Plenty to see below that, but due to bottom time limits, we're on EAN32 so we max at 110.

There's nothing magic about going deep, unless there's something magic to see :) Bottom time limitations make deeper dives a serious bummer, especially now that I've lost weight and gotten into better shape (cut my breathing rate nearly in half)... I'm finding that now I'm bumping up against NDLs on dives as shallow as 80ft.

About 150ft.

Why? Because thats where the wreck was.

Deep for the sake of it i feel is 100% pointless and just for ego seekers. Deep for a reason is a different matter.

How deep? I go to whatever depth the wreck is or the cave goes. Numbers don't matter do they?

My deep dives are done wearing double 104's filled with trimix and usually two decompression gasses and sometimes three.

I sure don't make any attempt to squeeze a good deep dive into anykind of no-stop limits.

In recreational gear (a single tank) I don't care to dive much past 80 ft or so. That's not an absolute of course but if I'm planning a deep dive I dress for it.

String:
About 150ft.

Why? Because thats where the wreck was.

Deep for the sake of it i feel is 100% pointless and just for ego seekers. Deep for a reason is a different matter.

It depends on how you define "just for the sake of it".

Sometimes the caves are blown and we can't get on the Great Lakes so we'll go to a deep quarry and dive. The only way to keep your hand in at deep diving is to dive deep.

My deepest is somewhere between 85 and 90 feet.. it was for AOW deep class. I haven't found anything worth going deeper for yet, and only have a select few buddies I'll trust that deep (my first dive to 80+ had the instructor trainer grabbing my reg and literally dragging me to the surface).

Of course, I recently discovered Lake Ontario and some good Canuck buddies so who knows.

Been down to about 115ft on two occasions. Both times I was checking out a wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom