How deep is considered a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also dive BHB. Last dive was average of 6' and got some good pics. Tide started going out long before I got low on air. Did I log it? You bet.

As to logging pool dives, isn't that confined not open water?

Who cares how deep you go? If you learned something, saw something cool, or did something worthwhile then it was a good dive regardless of depth.

I won't even mention the short, shallow dive I did today, except to say it involved a Spare Air, mask, fins, shorts and nothing else and was a lot of fun.

Bruxelles has a 111 foot deep pool! Who knew! What is the purpose of the facility?
diving?

You can log whatever you want. Bathtub with a snorkel is ok, if that appeals to you.

Discretion and some honesty needs to shown if/when your total logged dives is ever to be used as a prerequisite for training or when demonstrating your experience to a dive operation. You shouldn't use pool dives, or inconsequential open water dives for those purposes.

If you do, you may meet the prerequisites, but you might end up looking like quite a remedial case.... :idk:

Let me speak as a dive pro, and a guy who has logged every dive since my first in 1997.
Pool dives are not dives. They should go in some other record log, but not as dives. A dive is done in any open water conditions: ocean, lake, river. Neither the duration or depth impacts whether it is a dive. It is a dive if you breath air (or a variation thereof) from a pressurized tank, below the surface of the water. While I prefer dives, even training dives, to be 20 minutes or more, there is no requirement for such. I do log the length of each dive, as not only number of dives but hours of underwater time are important data to maintain for professional training and for insurance purposes in the event something less than ideal happens in the future. The average of time of all dives I have ever done is just over 48 minutes. My wife's average is about 20 seconds more, a competition that will never end, but which I have trouble catching up because she does nearly every dive I do with me. Anyway- go diving whenever you can- pool,lake, or ocean. be an active diver. Active divers are safe divers.
DivemasterDennis, scubasnobs.com

Time and depth limits are usually only for agency minimums. i.e. OW divers for the course must remain u/w for a minimum of 15 mins and attain a depth of 20 ft.... from the SDI manual;

1. Students must complete 4 open water scuba dives, and remain underwater for minimum of 15 minutes on each dive, for a total of 60 minutes
2. Training depth must be between 6 to 18 metres / 20 to 60 feet; The maximum depth may not exceed 18 metres / 60 feet
3. A maximum of 3 scuba dives per day are allowed

etc....

After cert, you may count anything you may deem relevant. It would be up to your instructor to accept those logged dives a requirements for further training. I have done a few shallow dives that were very rewarding. I have also logged some very short dives when an equipment problem was encountered. Sometimes I just drove home.
Safe Diving,

Dale

When my Gekko goes in to the dive mode...then it's a dive.

My computer logged seven dives during my Rescue Diver Certification "dive" last weekend. I made a single logbook entry. It's not about the numbers.

Yea, why count poolwater as a dive. No one has ever drowned in a pool. I'm sure no one has ever stressed out in a pool and needed to be rescued in a pool.... have they? I never could figure out why pools pay lifeguards to just sit in the sun all summer.
Seriously, I have dove with insta buddies who I wished had done a LOT more pool dives at 4 feet to work on buoyancy skills. It's a lot easier sometimes to dive at 40 feet than it is in a pool at 4 feet.
Water is water and a dive is a dive. I did a couple of recovery dives in a local lake recently. Vis was 0 to 8 inches. At one point I found myself in 18 inches of water being washed to shore by waves. That particular dive was only to about 10 feet max. I challenge anyone to not call that a dive. If you do obviously you have never tried doing that.

Log everything, just be sure to describe what type of dive it was then let others decide if it counts for what they need.

Most of all dive and enjoy it.

Water is water and a dive is a dive. I did a couple of recovery dives in a local lake recently. Vis was 0 to 8 inches. At one point I found myself in 18 inches of water being washed to shore by waves. That particular dive was only to about 10 feet max. I challenge anyone to not call that a dive. If you do obviously you have never tried doing that.

Log everything, just be sure to describe what type of dive it was then let others decide if it counts for what they need.

Most of all dive and enjoy it.

+1 So very true!

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom