How deep is considered a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the only dive i recorded in a pool is Nemo33 (Bruxelles, Belgium) : 111 feet

This dive I would log. No doubt!

But I don't log pool dives. And to me, depth is irrelevent. If my dive hits 20 minutes, it gets logged. A dive bud worked on a motel pool in the middle of winter. Used a dry suit and he was paid. Dive under 15 mins. I would have logged that one since it was so unusual(for him).

If I were to dive a large aquarium(eg Georgia), I would log that dive since it was unusual.

It is personal preference.

It is personal preference.

It is personal preference. But if there's any likelihood that you might need to submit those dive logs as a prerequisite for training or diving, then you may want to consider what your true experience is and keeping those dives logged elsewhere.

Enrol on a DM, Instructor or tech course etc...and hope to count 'pool dives' or 'anything that registered as a dive on your computer' towards proof of adequate experience and you might feel foolish when they aren't accepted.

Any time im in open water on the kit i log it as a dive. My logbook isn't just for recording dives for qualifications, it also serves as a good source of info for future dives so its handy to log everything :D

One of my first dive buddies, with much more experience than I had then or have now, told me to log it if I learned something on the dive. So, that's what I do. That said, I don't count pool dives because they are confined. My computer starts logging at 4 ft...good enough for me, but I'll guess the number of dives I've logged that were less than 10 ft could be counted on one hand. I also do not log a new dive unless the surface interval is a minimum of 10 minutes (my computer calls it a new dive after 3 minutes).

right
training, school, some fun during winter, restaurant.
and the beer, in Belgium

Nemo33

Wow! I used to hang out at a pool in Uccle but it was about 10 feet deep!

Interesting statement in the training section about areas of the world where PADI is not accepted. Anyone know where that is?

Yea, why count poolwater as a dive. No one has ever drowned in a pool. I'm sure no one has ever stressed out in a pool and needed to be rescued in a pool.... have they? I never could figure out why pools pay lifeguards to just sit in the sun all summer. . .

Hyperbole is a wonderful thing, but for the sarcasm-impaired (and any lawyers reading this):

CDC:
Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning. Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning is the sixth leading cause of unintentional injury death for people of all ages, and the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 14 years. . .

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, particularly in a litigious society.

. . .Log everything, just be sure to describe what type of dive it was then let others decide if it counts for what they need.

Most of all dive and enjoy it.
Excellent advice.

Don´t care if it´s 3 meters deep. It´s still a dive. At 8-10 meters it´s beginning to get pretty dark with poor visibility anyway.
I only do pretty easy dives between 5 and max 15 meters.

For myself, I log it if I'm try out a different gear combination, different weight, salt water pool vs fresh, etc.

The reason I log it is because I want to keep a history of my impressions, and the gear combinations that work for me.

Now, the next question is: "Is it a dive, just becasue I logged it?"

I'm going to give my answer to this, if it is open water, and I breath off a tank, it is a dive. If it is closed water, and I spend more than 20 minutes under contiguously, (let's say 12 ft) without surfacing to discuss, switch out weight, adjust gear etc, then I'll consider it a dive and add the time.

I guess the difference here is "Is everything I log a dive?", and in my mind, the answer is no.

Any time I'm underwater and learn something, I log it -- regardless of depth, location, or duration. That means I have plenty of things in pools in my "dives."

Anytime I'm doing a "real" dive, which for my purposes is anytime I've taken my gear out the shop door and intentionally geared up and got wet I log it. If you're underwater on compressed air, you have the potential to require a trip to the hospital if you do something stupid, that makes it a dive.

I don't log "normal" confined water stuff where I don't have a 'lesson learned' to put in my log.
I don't log snorkel and free dive stuff in my scuba log book.
I don't worry about what people "count" and don't. It's my log book.

For the purposes of training agencies, I can filter my log based on duration, avg depth, max depth, air consumed, and so forth, so i can use whatever criteria is required to produce the required print-out. For the purpose of my "count" on this site, I use the PADI criteria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom