How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting thread. I, too, wondered about the source of that name. I agree that the "PC police" have gotten out of hand- and am glad that a friend of mine who is "auditorally challenged"(sp?) has the humor to reply, to any and all who use that phrase to him, "I'm not THAT, I'm f@#$%$# DEAF ".

BTW-Dr. Stein - Well said-and funny!!

Mike

Albion:
In the UK we have a childrens nursery rhyme called 'bah bah black sheep' you may have it in USA as well. Like most nursery rhymes it has a story with some background to it. It is actually kind of a protest song from the 18th centuary about an industrial dispute. It is not even about Sheep be they black, white or Purple with pink spots. However yet again the council stepped in and made all the primary schools in the region start singing "bah bah green sheep"

Doh

We had people here in the US sue an airline over the rhyme "Eenie-Meenie-Miney-Moe". They refused to choose a seat, so the flight attendant (Stewardess? not PC!)said "eenie meenie miney moe, pick a seat so we can go!" Apparently, racist (OK, what's the PC term for those of African biological background this week?) have decided that a version where you catch a ****** by the toe is the implied version any time anyone mentions that nursery rhyme.

It's not that I'm racist, I am just uncomfortable talking to minority people because I might misspeak and get sued! (Actually, I do have several minority friends, but I do tread VERY carefully with people I don't know. It's better to play it safe than associate, right?)

Albion:
In the UK we have a childrens nursery rhyme called 'bah bah black sheep' you may have it in USA as well. Like most nursery rhymes it has a story with some background to it. It is actually kind of a protest song from the 18th centuary about an industrial dispute. It is not even about Sheep be they black, white or Purple with pink spots. However yet again the council stepped in and made all the primary schools in the region start singing "bah bah green sheep"

Doh

Hey I'm part irish Green upsets me. I'm suing London. Just kidding. As was said political correctness run completely Amok. :11:

415Gem:
The changing of the name based on it being derogatory is rediculous.

I'd even go so far as to say the name wasn't offensive or derogatory until they validated the misinterpretation of it's etymology by changing it.

I'm sure many will think that if it needed to be changed, there MUST have been something wrong with it, right? That leads to speculation and the assumption that it had a derogatory origin, which perpetuates and reinforces any stereotypes that might be connected, such as the big nose thing.

Nice job PC police.

Perhaps we should ban the phrase big nose as it might be taken as your talking about a certain race. By the way I am English so you Yanks take note Brit and Limy have been taken out of use. You have been warned.

cdiver2:
Perhaps we should ban the phrase big nose as it might be taken as your talking about a certain race.

I was talking about "a certain race", but I don't mean any offense by it. Just using it as an example of a stereotype to illustrate my point.

MSilvia:
I was talking about "a certain race", but I don't mean any offense by it. Just using it as an example of a stereotype to illustrate my point.

I know I was just pointing out how people that want to find a problem can do with just about any word/phrase. It truly is sad times that we live in.

This all reminds me of the Futurama episode, "A Big Piece Of Garbage"...
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-249/epid-1541/

Fry: Hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus. *laughs*
Leela: I don't get it.
Professor: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
Fry: Oh. What's it called now?
Professor: Urectum. Here, let me locate it for you.
Fry: Hehe, no, no, I think I'll just smell around a bit over here.

Laurence Stein DDS:
Then the fish went to school to become a doctor. Unfortunately, the name surgeon fish was taken so rather than go back to school to become a lawyer and thus being named a shark, he just settled for Jewfish.
!

Way funny. I reckon if we cant laugh at ourselves then we are taking life WAY too seriously.

Laurence Stein DDS:
I'm wondering...If I lived in Australia, would I be labeled as American Australian, Jewish American Australian, Anglo American Australian, etc. Or...would someone there think that anyone doing this is off their rocker?

!

Nope, if you were born in Austrailia, you would be labled as an okker, 'strine, Ozzy, Digger, Anzac, Good Aussi Bloke, codger, sheep shagger, joker etc.

If you retain the status of an immigrant (as opposed to naturalised Australian), you could be refered to as reffo, pommie b*stard, loopy, feral, yank or something of the like.

The context is where the insult lies, your mate would call you a good B*stard, whereas someone who doesnt like you would call you a real b*stard.

The Australian language is rich and full of such subtle intricacies and is worth studying.

cancun mark:
Way funny. I reckon if we cant laugh at ourselves then we are taking life WAY too seriously.

Nope, if you were born in Austrailia, you would be labled as an okker, 'strine, Ozzy, Digger, Anzac, Good Aussi Bloke, codger, sheep shagger, joker etc.

If you retain the status of an immigrant (as opposed to naturalised Australian), you could be refered to as reffo, pommie b*stard, loopy, feral, yank or something of the like.

The context is where the insult lies, your mate would call you a good B*stard, whereas someone who doesnt like you would call you a real b*stard.

The Australian language is rich and full of such subtle intricacies and is worth studying.

in England, some one that had just got a good deal ie al80 for $45 would be called a jamy b*stard

Back
Top Bottom