How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if they had called it a Methodist Fish?

The largest kosher fish thing almost sounds like it was made up after the Jew Fish got its improbable name.

Dr. Stein is correct in stating that the PC thing has gone a bit too far.

If I lived in Oz, I would be called that bloke from the States who goes diving all the time. That is, when I am not in a pub.

adder70:
We had people here in the US sue an airline over the rhyme "Eenie-Meenie-Miney-Moe". They refused to choose a seat, so the flight attendant (Stewardess? not PC!)said "eenie meenie miney moe, pick a seat so we can go!" Apparently, racist (OK, what's the PC term for those of African biological background this week?) have decided that a version where you catch a ****** by the toe is the implied version any time anyone mentions that nursery rhyme.

It's not that I'm racist, I am just uncomfortable talking to minority people because I might misspeak and get sued! (Actually, I do have several minority friends, but I do tread VERY carefully with people I don't know. It's better to play it safe than associate, right?)

Wow, I didn't realize when I asked my question that I would gather so many interesting replies! This is a great discussion, I hope it is ok with the moderators that we are a bit far afield from the topic of marine life :wink:

I am also not a fan of "Political Correctness" because I feel it causes us to focus on finding a list of words that we can prohibit instead of helping us to foster understanding between different groups of people. I think it is useful to stop using derogatory phrases obviously but it doesn't help us get any closer to the people who have some difference from us and as you said so perfectly, faced with trying NOT to say the wrong thing you end up feeling awkward and "treading carefully".

I wonder, do you ever feel comfortable enough with your friends who are people of color to talk about this awkwardness with them and have the chance to hear what their perceptions are? This is the kind of thing that I have found more useful torwards having closer friendships and gives me the chance to broaden my perspective about the world.

cdiver2:
Perhaps we should ban the phrase big nose as it might be taken as your talking about a certain race. By the way I am English so you Yanks take note Brit and Limy have been taken out of use. You have been warned.
I have a quick just fun one for Cdiver. My friends in Oz like Palmmy bastatrd is that one out too? :crafty: 415Gem

415Gem:
I have a quick just fun one for Cdiver. My friends in Oz like Palmmy bastatrd is that one out too? :crafty: 415Gem

Don't know that one but must admit I'm not up to date on the new phrases in England right now. What do's it mean ?.

With all the political correctness could I, being Irish, sue PADI as it sounds too much like Paddy, a slang term for the Irish? :D

There's no end to how you can interpret words or their meaning. Some times they're justified but there'll always be those who have a left field view of how things are. The problems start when those in authority pay attention to these ramblings.

Meanwhile the Jewfish/Goliath Grouper is swimming around out there oblivious to its name change. I wonder how many of the people involved in getting the fish's name changed ever even saw one?

Perhaps calling it a Jewfish made it overfished...

Laurence Stein DDS:
First, let me tell you all the real way the Jewfish got its name. FROM HIS JEWISH MOTHER!!! :11: His father had absolutely nothing to say in the matter!

hahahaha... good one

we must change the Spanish Hogfish to the
Latino/a Lechon-fish.

also, the Black Grouper and Hamlet should be called the
African American Grouper and Hamlet, respectively.

The Irish Pompano, on the other hand, should be properly
known as the Potato-Eater Pompano, just because...

Geez, in such a PC world, does this mean that from here on in, I must address my cows as "Bovine Americans"?

:crafty:
cdiver2:
Don't know that one but must admit I'm not up to date on the new phrases in England right now. What do's it mean ?.
I think it`s really pommie Duh??? I didn`t even know the slang American hooked on Phon-e-tics 415Gem :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom