How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a mountain called China Mans Peak in Canmore A,B. It has been changed to another name now as people complained. But the sad part is it was given in honor of a running race. The race was for who ever made it to the top of the mountain it would be named after them. Guess who made it to the top first. So they did not know his name and they named it. It was named when the cp rail company was trying to punch the rail through. In that time in life it was great honor to have it named at all.

How sad can it get?

Laurence Stein DDS:
First, let me tell you all the real way the Jewfish got its name. FROM HIS JEWISH MOTHER!!! :11: His father had absolutely nothing to say in the matter!

The fish was born and a week or so later out came the razor blade...swish!...and...well the rest is history. Then the fish went to school to become a doctor. Unfortunately, the name surgeon fish was taken so rather than go back to school to become a lawyer and thus being named a shark, he just settled for Jewfish. See...it's easy.

Personally, being of the Goliath faith, I think it is one of the stupidest examples of political correctness so far. I have never been phased by the term and never even considered that it could possibly be racist or demeaning. Then again, I think it's equally stupid to change the name of baseball teams that end in some American Indian slang.

I'm even having a hard time about the tendency to identify people by their country of ethnic/racial origin vs where they actually live. Every day I have to tell other people that I am Polish/Prussian American. My wife is an Israeli American. I'm not quite sure what that makes my kids! Sometimes...like when filling out U.S. Census forms, my wife has to indicate that she is ACTUALLY, a Jewish Asian American. You see, Israel is a part of Asia, not Europe.

Here in Miami, it is more correct to refer to people as Latin American, Cuban American, Native American, Anglo-American, etc. Unfortunately this seems to leave me out. I have no Spanish heritage so I can't use those terms, I am not from an American Indian tribe, so that's out and none of my ancestors are from England, hence I am not really "Anglo" except when compared to any Spanish speaking American country, I am considered an Anglo.

It also confuses me to no end that are these labels seem to refer to persons born in other countrys and then naturalized EXCEPT when there are children of these labeled Americans born within the US. Then it seems politically correct to refer to these offspring as the same national origin label as their parents...which is senseless because if your born here, you are....you guessed it...American.

I'm wondering...If I lived in Australia, would I be labeled as American Australian, Jewish American Australian, Anglo American Australian, etc. Or...would someone there think that anyone doing this is off their rocker?

Back to the grouper. It used to be nice to go diving on Saturdays. I would go out on the boat with friends and we would sit around blowing bubbles with our friend, the rabbifish. A religious experience! Now however, I have to sit around with this really big, stupid fish and throw rocks at it with a Hawaiian sling!

Regards,

Larry Stein
Polish, Prussian, Anglo, Caucasian, born in the USA, American

PS: OK, one more thing. Do you know why male Jewfish die before female Jewfish?.......
BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

I enjoyed your post. Your humor is a delight. I am an American mutt. Most dogs have more right to be in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show than I do and not just because they are dogs. Hitler probably loved dog shows. Part of my "dog pound" blood is Naitive American and I attended Florida State University. Yep, The Seminoles. I always laughed when some 19yr old blonde guy with a pug nose and painted face threw the flaming spear on the field. However, I was never offended. I thought it was cool. Just a few random thoughts that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Dive safe all!

scubadobadoo:
Part of my "dog pound" blood is Naitive American and I attended Florida State University.

Except for your PC statement, you sound anti PC. Native means someone who was born in a particular area. Anyone born in America is a native American. What do you call a "native American" who was born outside America?

Walter:
Native means someone who was born in a particular area. Anyone born in America is a native American. What do you call a "native American" who was born outside America?

It's the established title for the demographic, imprecise or no. You call non-native americans, er... americans, or refer to the established cultural titles associated with the people in question. Caucasian american, italian american, african american... blah blah.

In classical ecology, "native" refers to indigenous biota, which excludes "exotics". Being born in the area you live in does not imply nativity. The sociologists use the same system we do for the most part. It's near universally believed that post-Renaissance (or earlier) immigration into america reflects non-native populations.

Established by the PC crowd. I reject it just as I reject the name change of the Jewfish. Indigenous and native are not one and the same, they are different terms with different meanings. American Indians are indigenous to America (unless you trace it back farther), native Americans may or may not be indeigenous to America. American Indians may or may not be native Americans. All African Americans are not Black and all Blacks are not African Americans. The PC crowd has introduced terms that do not mean what they intend and rejected terms that do. It's very silly. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

archman:
In classical ecology, "native" refers to indigenous biota, which excludes "exotics". .

That would make me "exotic Biota"........... Hey, I kinda like that..!!

Walter:
Indigenous and native are not one and the same, they are different terms with different meanings.
They are in fact synonymous, along with "endemic". Anthropologists sometimes cross-reference "aboriginal" as well. The differences between "endemic", "indigenous", and "native" are so minute, I had to refer to my scientific dictionary to check. "Native" can imply either birth or place of origin... it's the latter definition that gets sticky. I'm an ecologist, and my sister's a sociologist. We both use "endemic", "indigenous", and "native" interchangeably 99% of the time, as do our peers. Nobody nitpicks terminology accuracy like scientists... it's brutal bordering on psychotic. We give and get no mercy.

The PC crowd has introduced terms that do not mean what they intend and rejected terms that do. It's very silly. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
The problem is differentiating what terms are majority-agreed upon as "PC", and what terms aren't. Jewfish to Goliath Grouper... probably PC, although the commision that approved the change pointed out continuous complaints from the public since the 1960's.

"American Indian" vs. "Native American", now that's a bit dicier. Remember, we have "Indian Americans" too, representing a different and much more recent demographic. Sociologists have to choose the most accurate term that doesn't conflict too much with pre-existing ones. And so they've established such a standard system for folks in the U.S.. You're called a "______ american", the "american" establishing your recent ancestry (and most likely) birthplace and current residence. The preceding term ("African", "Chinese", "Mexican") reflects your earlier (or original) ancestry, and assumes significant genetic and/or cultural similarity to reflect that early place of origin. It's a pretty good, standardized system. Certainly not perfect... better than most taxonomy however. Standardized systems like this are far easier to teach in classrooms, both for their simplicity and balanced criteria. And being "PC", they rarely offend. They may be harder to roll of the tongue than slang terms, but those change with the times, don't conform to set standards, and may end up with you beat up or sued for slander.

"Political Correctness" has nothing to do with language at all. It is about controlling people through controlling what they may or may not say.

It's jest a little bit of "1984" creeping in.

Walter,

Wouldn't you say they are Indiangenous??? :D

I for one think that Goliath Grouper is anti-semitic and not the other way around.

weeeeellllll......., I admit that I have never been very comfortable with the name jewfish.......the darn fish looked too much like Mel Brooks, head on, for any guess why it was named that way. It will take a while to make goliath come to my tongue first, but I like it fine. Sometimes political correctness works. And this from someone who traditionally hates political correctness!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom