How do I remove gear-marking paint?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried just plain old nail polish remover? It ***shouldn't*** harm the material and is generally effective at removing all sorts of paints and markers from clothes, it even removes "permenant" sharpie from stuff.

Most of my gear has someone else's name on it. It's never really bothered me.

Quit stealing other people's gear :D

Seriously, maybe a gel based, non-toxic paint stripper (orange). That's what I use on tanks.

Put a cool dive patch over it.

who care if your initials are on it?? if you are selling it let the buyer figure out how to get them off...

Have you tried just plain old nail polish remover? It ***shouldn't*** harm the material and is generally effective at removing all sorts of paints and markers from clothes, it even removes "permenant" sharpie from stuff.

I agree with this. I've never done much underwater or on that type of equipment, but in the shop I worked for we had solvents, wipes up the butt, different this's and that's, etc etc.. Even a lot of commercial cleaners (for use in hospital.. nothing too harsh.. it's for patient use!).

Nothing has ever cleaned anything 'permanent' off for me as easily as acetone. The problem is acetone can on rare occasions damage the material itself or discolor it (which can usually be washed off, but it's hard). I would personally try acetone, but I would test it first, just in case.

hm, scissors?

Oh, and do NOT use carbon tetrachloride. It is highly carcinogenic. It's use is banned in some areas, or at least highly restricted.
Methylene chloride (and dichloromethylene) are suspected to be carcinogenic, so do NOT use them without proper care and knowledge how to deal with chemicals.

I've tried nail polish remover, and it sadly didn't work. I personally wouldn't be bothered if someone else's initials were on my used gear, but I can't speak for a future buyer.

Maybe I'll say the "SF" stands for "Scuba Fun". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom