How do you calculate weight with steel tanks ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another good idea especially since you dive dry is to figure out the buoyancy of your different undergarments with your drysuit. Do this by getting in the water with only your drysuit and seeing how much weight it takes for you to sink. Then it's as easy as adding up the numbers. If you write this info down in your log book it'll also be easy for you to figure out proper weighting when switching to different tanks. For example for me:

+25lbs drysuit with undergarments
-6 bp
-4 (empty 130's)
-3 can light
-4 tail weight
-5 bands/manifold
-4 regs
-2/3 hardware

makes me about -3 to -4 lbs which allows me to keep a little air in my suit to remain comfortable. This is also how you can figure out how much lift you need if you ever decide to switch to a backplate/wing

Ligersandtions: I know what you mean about who knows what there are talking about and who doesn't. Thanks for the comment. Quick question for you specifically. I see you are still on line. I'm new to SB and I notice that under people's stats are number of " Thanks received ". How do you do this on SB. I looked around a little and can't figure it out. Newbie, you know.

Good idea Streetdoctor, I like the way you think. After step 1, it's all just numbers. Thanks again

Ligersandtions: I know what you mean about who knows what there are talking about and who doesn't. Thanks for the comment. Quick question for you specifically. I see you are still on line. I'm new to SB and I notice that under people's stats are number of " Thanks received ". How do you do this on SB. I looked around a little and can't figure it out. Newbie, you know.

BTW, sorry I didn't mention before....but welcome to SB!! And keep asking questions :D

There is a "Thanks" button at the bottom right of each person's post. If you think the post was helpful and you want to thank the poster, click on the "Thanks" button.

Likewise, as you can see above, your post is up there. There's a button that says "Quote"....I clicked that, and now your post is up there so you can see I'm specifically responding to you.

There's also an "M-Quote" function so you can quote multiple people.

Hope this helps! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom