How do you clean regs after a (saltwater) dive?

How do you (normally) clean regs after a (saltwater) dive? (Public Poll)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ideally, I'd soak the regs attached to a cylinder and purge them...but that's often clunky or not possible. So normally, I soak the regs in the bathtub for 1/2 hour to an hour with the dust cap tightly on.

This poll is a curiosity after some of the comments in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/426942-regulators-hard-water.html

I'm more interested in responses from dives made in salt, or less somewhat less than fresh water, but all replies are welcome. Please indicate the type of water you dive in along with your response.
I thoroughly rinse with hose and make sure to slide hose protector back so i can rinse underneath , then shake lightly , towel dry and blow through seconds.

Saltwater only, mostly shore dives.
Hose of, soak for 20 minutes at least. Hose off again. Hook up to tank, submerge 2nd stages, purge, pull them out of water while purging, keep going till water all out. Hang to dry.

Too often the rise/soak is shorter than I'd like. 30 minutes to a hour makes me happy but isn't always available. I assume this works just fine. I'm diving the same regs I started with in 1989. U.S. Diver Conshelf

I have to travel when I dive s/w, so I make the best of an imperfect situation. I use the boat rinse hose if available to take of the the first layer of salt before it forms crystals on my reg. The mean 5 minutes after my last dive of the day. When I get to the hotel, I carefully soak the the sink taking care not to press the purge. The rest of the gear go in the shower / tub with me. I am highly skeptical of dock side rinse tanks and a proper soaking in clean water is not going to happen on the road.

In your case, with your screen name,.. wouldn't it be rather obvious? A nice little freshwater cave dive?

That's *my* preferred method for cleaning them, but after some of the other comments in the referenced thread I was curious about the majority of other divers.

That's *my* preferred method for cleaning them, but after some of the other comments in the referenced thread I was curious about the majority of other divers.

Just teasing with you!:D To be honest, in my case, I'm teaching in the pool so much, mine are lucky to get cleaned until I do get to the pool.

I usually just hose them off but often times I toss everything in a tub filled with water and get occupied with other activities and let them soak for a few hours.

I hook the hose up to my BC and flush it with fresh water. I soak my regulators and other gear in a solution of SALT-X and then rinse with fresh water and hang in the garage until dry.

Back
Top Bottom