How do you clean regs after a (saltwater) dive?

How do you (normally) clean regs after a (saltwater) dive? (Public Poll)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The magic SCUBA fairies fly out of my gear locker every time I get home and clean all my gear for me. They polish my regulator until it shines!

Isn't that how it's done for everyone?

I dive all salt and when I travel, there's no way I'll throw it in the rinse tank. Too many people throw their boots and suits in the same tank. Not good when I think of the number of suits pee'd in. Ick, ick, ick.

Otherwise, I usually either soak in a tub, rinse with a hose or both. Then it hangs in the garage (which is the SCUBA gear lounge - there's no room for a car), until I next need it.

The real question should be how long do you soak your gear and often does it show signs of corrosion? Having worked on a few regs I have found the ones that were the most difficult to crack open were the ones with the most corrosion. I think twice now I have dump a reg into the ultrasonic bath partially assembled because it could not be fully disassembled. After an hour or so of hot bath and ultrasonic cleaning it would come a part. I never worry about doing it cause the plastic bits all get replaced.

We do not have the best rinse habits. After a trip it might take 2-3 days before the gear soaks in a bucket overnight. I put some water in the wing bladder and swish it around. Drain out of all 3 dumps. Regs get soaked then dried with the 2nds down.

Regs serviced yearly, BC never serviced and its over 2 years old.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

On a trip, I throw everything in the hotel bathtub: cold water shower, then soak with mouthwash, then shower again, then air dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom