How do you clean scuba tools for use on O2-clean equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wrench in question has a black oxide finish. Like parkerizing, black oxide requires oil applied to the surface to prevent rust. If you think that means poor quality...you need to learn about finishes.

A tool intended for scuba use would, however, be more useful in hard chrome, Electroless nickel, stainless or chrome.

simple green

I use 1/8 of a cup of Simple Green, 1/8 of a cup of white vinegar in a container then fill it with enough hot tap water to cover the parts or in this case the tools.

i use some simple green and stick it in the ultrasonic, same as everything else. I try to do my cleaning in batches, so will clean the tools first then the rest of the regs

This is how we do it at my facility.

First, whenever possible, if buying new tools, I try to get two sets. One we have for regular reg service, and the other that gets O2 cleaned and then is only used when doing O2 service. To clean, first, we degrease/wipe down the parts with a lint free rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol. This removes any gross contaminates. Then we immerse the tools in a hot mixture of 2 capfuls of Crystal Green or Simple green in hot distilled h20 in the Ultrasonic cleaner. I prefer to use crystal green, but it is not always in stock at grainger. After washing, they go in a second ultra sonic cleaner for a rinse bath of distilled water. Due to a couple deals I have worked out with an analytical lab, I can run a sample of the rinse down to them and have them run it through their mass spectrometer to make sure I got all of the hydrocarbons off of it. Usually talks less then two hours including the drive. They do this for me for free because they use the tests as a training opportunity for their lab personnel. Finally, we blow dry the tools with compressed nitrogen, and then check with a UV light. (if contaminates are found, we go back to step 1 and restart.) Depending on how soon we plan to use them, we will store in a O2 cleaned container, or vacuum pack the tools to prevent contamination.

While this would seem like overkill to most, I occasionally do O2 cleaning and work on pure O2 systems outside of the recreational diving industry. The customer insists on these procedures, and happily pays the added cost. Of course they also insisted we build a semi permanent clean room that is over pressurized and uses HEPA particulate filters, and we wear tyvek coveralls when working on O2 equipment. Because it is already set up this way, I can utilize the same tools and equipment for O2 cleaning of regs, tanks, and valves for no additional cost to the diver.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, this has been really helpful. BTW, besides Vance Harlow's books, is there anything else worth reading on the subject of O2 cleaning?

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, this has been really helpful. BTW, besides Vance Harlow's books, is there anything else worth reading on the subject of O2 cleaning?

XS Scuba a has pdf that is pretty good. www.frogkick.dk/manuals/xs-scuba/XS_Scuba_o2cleaning_manual.pdf

XS Scuba a has pdf that is pretty good. www.frogkick.dk/manuals/xs-scuba/XS_Scuba_o2cleaning_manual.pdf

Thanks, I am surprised that their lawyers would allow publishing something like that. Which UV light do you use to examine the result, and what sort of protection do you wear?

Thanks, I am surprised that their lawyers would allow publishing something like that. Which UV light do you use to examine the result, and what sort of protection do you wear?

I use nitrile gloves and for small part items I put down aluminum foil down to set the pieces on.

For UV light I have a small flashlight that someone on here recommended.

What about torque wrenches? The Craftsman torque wrench I have is oiled within the handle. When you screw the handle to adjust the torque setting, the grease inside will get onto the torque wrench shaft.

Back
Top Bottom