How do you get into the water from a liveaboard with your camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In liveaboards where we have to take a separate zodiac/panga boat to the dive site, one has no option but to do a backflip with one's camera. You think the body will absorb all the impact, but the water rushing around the tank and body to the camera in front of the diver will still cause some stress on the components.

In liveaboards where we have to take a separate zodiac/panga boat to the dive site, one has no option but to do a backflip with one's camera. You think the body will absorb all the impact, but the water rushing around the tank and body to the camera in front of the diver will still cause some stress on the components.

Isn't there a boatman running the boat who can hand you the camera after your back roll?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isn't there a boatman running the boat who can hand you the camera after your back roll?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

in places with strong current, everybody has to go in the water at the same time and go to the bottom ASAP, or the group would be separated by too bigh a distance.

Ah the joys of upgrading to one of the big beasts..instead of thinking of all the beautiful things you will see or shoot, you spend half the time worrying about how to bring the darn things down!

Ain't that the truth!

how about putting it on a tether, lowering it into the water, jumping in and detaching it? This could be a boat 'feature' I suppose. They just haul the line up and next diver attaches their camera, lowers it themselves, washrinserepeat lol

just brainstorming I suppose (I've only ever jumped in with a gopro on a stick)

We used to do this off my friend's boat in Jeddah many years ago, at times there could be 8 housings hanging off on 5M lines, back then we used film so it was a way of doubling up the amount of shots that we could take on one dive. Once the film was finished in one camera we would return for the second one with a different lens.

With the zodiacs that I have dove from, I have done it one of a couple ways. Either attach everything (camera and BC) to separate lines that allow the items to float in the water. I then get into the water and gear up. The second method involves a backroll while the camera is attached to the line. Both of these methods ensure to sudden pressure changes that might cause flooding.

Then again, this all depends on your camera setup. I have both a GoPro2 with tray and video light as well as a Canon T2i in an Ikelite housing with two substrobes and video light. Obviously with the GoPro2, just rolling with it in hand isn't a big deal. I never backroll with the Canon.

With the zodiacs that I have dove from, I have done it one of a couple ways. Either attach everything (camera and BC) to separate lines that allow the items to float in the water. I then get into the water and gear up. The second method involves a backroll while the camera is attached to the line. Both of these methods ensure to sudden pressure changes that might cause flooding.

Then again, this all depends on your camera setup. I have both a GoPro2 with tray and video light as well as a Canon T2i in an Ikelite housing with two substrobes and video light. Obviously with the GoPro2, just rolling with it in hand isn't a big deal. I never backroll with the Canon.

The zodiacs I've been to, everybody backrolls at the same time and sink ASAP or else somebody will be carried away by the current that is different above and below water. You think the camera is shielded by your body, but alot of times, the camera/strobe setup gets pretty mangled up. Its spend 3-5 sec to make sure everything is AOK and descent to the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom