How do you insure your U/W DSLR set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering those of you who own your high end DSLR cameras with UW housings and strobes etc how do you insure them? Do you go through diving insurance services like DAN and H2O etc or do you include it as part of your home insurance. I heard that diving insurances charge a lot of depreciation or pay you not what you paid originally but how much your set up would be worth in the market at the time of the claim. Thus a DSLR and housing that you buy now for 3000 could be worth 1200 a few years from now. So you will get not the original value you paid but how much it would cost for you to buy that at the time of the claim.

Any suggestions on camera insurance will be greatly appreciated.

Sinbad -

There are meny choices but I use DAN/H2O. Just a no brainer for me as I have DAN already. You can put your own value on your gear. The more you value it, the bigger premium. Easy

Mine are on a rider with the home contents insurance. With Nationwide this turned out to be much cheaper at the time than a DAN partner.

I was just wondering those of you who own your high end DSLR cameras with UW housings and strobes etc how do you insure them? Do you go through diving insurance services like DAN and H2O etc or do you include it as part of your home insurance. I heard that diving insurances charge a lot of depreciation or pay you not what you paid originally but how much your set up would be worth in the market at the time of the claim. Thus a DSLR and housing that you buy now for 3000 could be worth 1200 a few years from now. So you will get not the original value you paid but how much it would cost for you to buy that at the time of the claim.

Any suggestions on camera insurance will be greatly appreciated.

Sinbad -

I say do not insure the housing...even when flooded, they can be rinsed and be fine afterwards....
Buy two camera bodies... the 2nd one is about the cost of insurance for 2 or 3 years :) .. and it is all yours if you make it that far with no flood.

There's also theft, dropped overboard, eaten by shark, where in the world it happened....more than just a flood. Insure for any peril any where. I have a personal articles rider on homeowners policy with State Farm.

I also added my camera equipment as a rider on my home policy. I use Liberty Mutual. Was told at the time of purchase that it would cover just about anything that wasn't intentional...including flooding. Will see how that holds up if I ever need to make a claim.

James

My friend recently lost a D300 to salt water intrusion. Ikelite wanted 400 to fix the housing. He lost the strobes, cords, camera of course. Of course you can't buy a D300 new anymore, so fixing the housing is a waste of time. He decided to upgrade to a D7000. The best way I know of is through a policy rider on your home owners or renters insurance. Considering my entire policy is less than 500 a year, I'm guessing the portion that covers my dive gear is less than 20 bucks per year.

It's hard to replace a camera for less than 20 bucks per year with a $250 deductible.

*edit
If you've got the proper insurance, you should be getting replacement value, not depreciated value. So, if it costs you 7k to replace your setup, you get 7k, not the 2k it would cost to replace a 5 year old camera.

I have a personal articles policy with State Farm.

It's about $300/yr for $22K of equipment, all incident coverage, $0 deductible, and full replacement value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom