How do you make people aware of bad divers?

How do ditch a buddy and warn others?

• Leave and don't speak to them again

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Make a website dedicated to their inability to dive

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Go to the store they were certified at and raise hell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell them politely

Votes: 30 75.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He probably thinks that he is safe. I would try to talk with him and get him to go practice. If he puts forth the effort to improve, I'll probably dive with him in the future. If he does not seem to care, I'll just flat out tell him that I won't dive with him anymore until he gets serious. If he doesn't like it, tough.

How do you tell a guy who

*is dully certified, with 40+ logged dives:
* Doesn't have any sense of orientation
* Does consistently the opposite of what was planned
* Believes that the signal to go up means to rush at the surface at the speed of light (with no safety stop), even though he still has 500 psi in his tank
* Doesn't stay close to his buddy during a night dive
* Keeps on blinding his buddy with his light during said night dive
* Won't swim at the surface because it's harder than swimming UW
* Doesn't realize that kicking his fins in the sand affects the viz

that he should try to improve his diving and that he may be (actually he is) a danger to his buddy? The first time I was polite, the second time I got a little less polite and the third time, I got angry.

Yeah, I know, there shouldn't have been a third time, but I couldn't find a way out (too long story to tell), and the guy is a nice guy.

As you guys pointed it out, there are a lot of "divers" out there that think they're done learning as soon as they get their C card. They completely lack any sort of awareness that they can and have to always improve after getting certified.

I'm going to learn solo diving, because sometimes, it really feels like I'm on my own;-0

All good ideas, one more that i will do sometimes, is under the guise of me wanting to work on an area this person has a problem with. I just tell him that i would like to work on...what ever is needed.. for me to keep my skills sharp, and then we work on it together....amazing how many times this has worked.
If that does not do it, "the talk" is next ....if that does not, then i dont dive with that person, my bu-- on the line, my choice....and allways remember that when it comes right down to it after it is all said and done, you are a Solo diver....:bonk:

This is all good advice!

However, I have (and know I will have again!) a situation with a bad diver. I really don't know how the heck I would approach him, or if I even should.

I posted about this guy in another thread about the dumbest things you've seen people do...

I got stuck diving with this guy several times. He's associated with the same LDS and he got pawned off on me & my husband on several occassions. (I don't think anybody else wants to dive with him either).

OK to try to make a long story short, he drinks a LOT the night before, keeping everyone else at the campsite awake, has almost no buoyancy control, actually "runs over" other people UW (and he's a BIG guy), blows all his air out the drysuit, and is generally hapless. I do not understand how he got certified.

I've talked to his instructor about his poor skills & behaviours, but he didn't seem interested in trying to do anything about it. I don't know... any suggestions? Or do you figure somebody like that is on their own???

Switch LDS! If they don't care about your problems and have certified someone who did not meet the requirements, they probably will show the same carelessness in other areas.:boom:

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
This is all good advice!

However, I have (and know I will have again!) a situation with a bad diver. I got stuck diving with this guy several times. He's associated with the same LDS and he got pawned off on me & my husband on several occassions. (I don't think anybody else wants to dive with him either).

If that's the way your LDS treats you, than I'd find another LDS. Sounds like you have an LDS, for whom the dollar is king and their bottom line is more important than your bottom time. YOU have the final say on who you dive with. Doesn't sound like someone I'd get in the water with a second time.

Any lawyers at hand. What would an LDS's liability be for pairing you up with an incompetant buddy, fi it contributed to an injury? Such a 'suggestion' might make your LDS take notice. :devil:

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

If that's the way your LDS treats you, than I'd find another LDS. Sounds like you have an LDS, for whom the dollar is king and their bottom line is more important than your bottom time. YOU have the final say on who you dive with. Doesn't sound like someone I'd get in the water with a second time.

Any lawyers at hand. What would an LDS's liability be for pairing you up with an incompetant buddy, fi it contributed to an injury? Such a 'suggestion' might make your LDS take notice. :devil:

It wasn't the LDS who paired us up, it's just that this guy has shown up on some trips organized by the LDS! We got stuck with him mostly because he didn't have a buddy and we were too nice (or too dumb) to say no.

And no, I won't get in the water with the guy again. I'll find some excuse... I was suckered too much already. :wink:

the excuse that you want some special time with your husband. After all, that IS the truth, n'est pas?

NetDoc once bubbled...
the excuse that you want some special time with your husband. After all, that IS the truth, n'est pas?

If I say that, there's no guarantee that we wouldn't be followed around by camera-toting hopefuls!

nudge, nudge - wink, wink

:wink:

Put yourself in the other diver's fins, try and imagine their perspective on things.

Be tactful, but do not euphemize, do not be unclear, don't over generalize. Be very specific about the problem(s) observed - this will require you to engage brain before opening mouth.

Remember to establish a common ground. It's hard for someone to take advise from someone who doesn't have a clue about the subject.

Remember their behaviors are learned from many sources cert org, instructors, past role-models and buddys, books, movies, videos, and forums :).

They can be out of practice, or lack experience in the specific environment, weather conditions, or local diving scene.

Be firm, show your own conviction but do it with sincerity, you can tell when a person is being honest with you.

Have the discussion out of ear shot with others. This requires patience, but will give you time to collect your thoughts. Don't wait for the perfect moment though, you must create it. Invite the person to sit down with you in a quite area (if on a boat - use the bow of the boat, a bunk area, a corner of the deck, or a vacant galley if available).

Indicate your interest in them. Do you say these things because you want to continue diving with them, want them to be safer underwater, want them to become better divers, like them, or is it just to show them up?

Define what is unacceptable and what is tolerable (to yourself first, then put it in words that you can express to another) so if the discussion becomes a matter of defining limits, you'll know where you stand.

Old biblical saying "you can't extract the straw in your brother's eye while you have a rafter in your own eye" - goes a long way. Be humble and be preparred to accept council from the one you are counciling. There is nothing like the reaction someone has s when they think they have the upper hand on the counciling and suddenly they are being counciled. In your mind you better be preparred not to thing "Who does he think he is telling me this, HE'S the bad diver!". Because if you think you'd react that way, you will if the situation presents itself. Be teachable yourself, if you expect to teach others.

Before you go in ... remember to separate personal opinion and personal preference from more important things like safety, dive protocol, boat protocol, the law, and envronmental protection etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom