How do you pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keller34

Contributor
Reaction score
So with having the wife, 2 sons, and sometimes my oldests fiance with us, packing the Vue becomes Tetris hell.

We take a 70qt cooler a towel bag, a snack\paper towel\Misc bag, 3 folding chairs, an umbrella, 3 BC's, 3 tanks, our reg bag, our mask bag, 3 sets of fins, and our weights, all pack into the back of the Saturn.

Some of you may have seen this and know that with this much stuff it is an amazing feat to achieve, all without blocking the side windows in the back.

My question is what do you drive and how do you pack if taking the whole family to the beach?

Post photos! Give advice! Share on what you do!

I am planning a trip this Saturday and going to Venice. I will be taking photos myself and posting them. Also I am going to get\make something that will be able to carry the bulk of stuff on the roof or install a hitch with cargo carrier in back.

Also if you have a way to carry all your stuff in one trip to the spot at the beach, say a beach cart, did you make or buy one? What does it look like?

I am planning to make one and I went today to price materials. It looks like it will cost around $50-70 for one to carry all our stuff.

I don't see that being a easy carry in the sand....maybe if it can have the wheels replaced with bigger ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added September 11th, 2013 at 01:39 AM ----------

It would be great for the truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

I'd leave the chairs and bring a blanket. Probably get smaller cooler too. No kids, but we jam four bailout tanks, two rebreathers and big duffle bags with drysuits, undergarments, fins, lights, etc. in the back of a small SUV not any bigger than yours without dropping the back seat. The difference I see is the non-diving stuff.

To get it to the beach, we put it on and walk down to the shore to dive. Then we walk back to the car, undress, and go home :)

Having a 4x4 helps

Had a couple of days diving with two mates of mine visiting from UK and Austria earlier, so two sets of dive gear with an assortment of tanks (3xAL80s + 1 HP100 + set of doubles were mine, the remainder were rented AL80s)

Add three sets of dive gear, along with my photo gear

I drive an Explorer most of the time for dive trips and it works great. Independent of diving, I bought a Sears Xsport 20 cargo top carrier. What works best is I put the light stuff up in the cargo carrier -- chairs, umbrella, towel bag , etc -- and then that frees up the back of the SUV for heavy stuff. The X20 is long enought for a full sized beach umbrella.

I looked at a Vue once and decided it was not for me due to the cargo space or lack there in. And that was before I started diving! I did however buy a Saturn sedan for a drive to work car and I love them.

X-Cargo Car Top Carrier : Great Deals on Roof-Top Carriers at Sears

This carrier open from the back so having a bumper you can stand up on is a great help. I also stand on the top of the rear tires to get in a little further forward.

I would like to see you packed photos.

I have my minions (got the 3 pack at Costco) pack the stuff up and hit FedEx, send it right to the nearest Hilton to the dive location in care of the Concierge.

Really, don't over think this.

If you have a trailer hitch, look at a rear carrier. I use a large plastic bin on a rear carrier. Put the heaviest stuff forward of the rear axle if possible.

You and the spouse in a brand new pick up truck loaded with gear in the back, chilling to some tunes while motivating down the highway being followed by a Saturn Vue with everybody else. Problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom