How do you pick up and carry doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a backbrace!

Actaully, my dive partners (I don't dive doubles yet) carry theirs on furniture style dolles with large rubber inflatable wheels. They just strap them to that, and push.

Dollies sound like fun, except on a boat. :wink:

I was asking more specifically where one grabs the doubles to carry them... the manifold, obviously, is not the place to grab.

I suppose the easiest way to carry them is to have your backplate and harness handy.

Part of me wonders why I should bother with big ol' heavy doubles... I'm sure rebreathers will take a significant share of dives away from doubles in the next 5-10 years.

- Warren

Sorry!:( Can't help you there.

Good question. Doubles can just simply be a pain in the rear :). I carry mine on my back everywhere I go. I don't even take the backplate off of them. A dolly works nice for long walks.

Take care.

Mike

I agree with the yooper, you gotta carry them on your back or use a dolly whenever you move them. if you doubt me try it, i know a good orthopedic surgeon. I just took them in for Hydros today actually, wore them on my back.

let me warn any of you young guys/girls out there about your backs. There is nothing worse than a bad back, and if your not wearing your tanks using your backplate and harness or Dollying them when you move them around, you will be very sorry in the near future. protect your backs people. Had to preach, sorry.

you paid for the backplate and harness, use the damn thing!

TMD

Just leave my plate and harness attatched all the time and wear them on my back in the shop for fills and off and on charters!!

by the tank valves, NOT by the manifold center. It takes both hands. For a particularly heavy set, it's good to tip em over and carry by the bottom and one tank valve. Everybody I dive with picks them up by the valves, not a problem yet.

You can pick them up my the manifold. You want your hands right at the tank valve though not in the middle of the manifold. I wouldn't recommend carrying them around that way I think you would hurt yourself before you hurt the manifold. 130lbs is not that much weight for steel but it sure kicks the hell out of our spine :)

If it's more than just lifting them into my car or moving them a few feet I just put them on and carry on my back. That's the easiest and safest way (unless you carry a dolly with you).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom