how do you secure your console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a retractor attached to a shoulder D ring.

If you decide to use a retractor check the screws that hold it together. Some manufacturers have a nasty habit of burring the screws so you can't take them apart when they fail. Get one without the burred screws.

I have the console hose coming over my left shoulder and use a retractor and clip it to my left D ring until im in the water then i clip it to my right upper D ring. to look at the computer or the compass i just grab it from my chest with my left hand and pull it out in front of me.
Fireguy

scubatexastony once bubbled...
Makes it easier for me to just glance without disconnecting the snap and leaves the left hip D-ring a little less cluttered. And like Mike, the hose is just long enough to go under the left arm and reach the location, makes for a nice tight profile.

tony
Think I will add this to the list of changes to make on the next trip, try it out and see if it works for me.

scubatexastony once bubbled...
Makes it easier for me to just glance without disconnecting the snap and leaves the left hip D-ring a little less cluttered. And like Mike, the hose is just long enough to go under the left arm and reach the location, makes for a nice tight profile.

tony

Re: Bolt snap, left shoulder..

I carry my SPG here as well.

On my left hip I have to unclip the SPG to view it. Since I cannot see the clips down there it's done by hand, and once in a while I found that I ended up unclipping a stage instead of my SPG.

When I moved it to my left shoulder I found that I can see the SPG without having to go through the extra step of unclipping it. Most common complaint I hear about this is confusing back gas SPG with deco gas SPG's - I use a different size/shape backgas SPG so this doesn't tend to be a problem for me.

Also, if a problem comes up I can see my left shoulder D ring and clip/unclip as needed without difficulty.

I'd love to hear anyones comments on why they prefer the left hip - perhaps there is something I'm not considering?

Best Regards,
Merlin

mine is attached to a D ring on my left with male/female clips. Works well for me but my wife prefers hers attached with an elastic wrap around her suunto gauges.

5615mike once bubbled...
mine is attached to a D ring on my left with male/female clips.

same here! Been real happy with the set up too!

snipes287 once bubbled...
hey, Ive been swimming around with my conslole just dangling around and was wandering what everyone else used to keep it close to you. do you use retractors or what?

The main thing is to get rid of that "danglie". It can easily snag on something and give you a real surprize.

I've generally used 2-3 setups:

1) clipped on left, low on BC

2) clipped onto a retractor that's on a right chest D ring.

3) Number 1, with the console then stuffed into the BC's cummerbund.

Pro's/Cons & Comments:

#1 can be set up before the dive; #2 cannot be clipped on until you're putting the gear on. I consider #1 to be better than #2 because minimizing the number of time-sensitive tasks (here, things that have to be done just prior to jumping in the water) is a good thing.

#1's gages can't be seen without lifting the gages up; #2's gages can be seen with no hands once the console has been turned (by hand). As such, #2 represents a slightly lower work taskloading.

If the clipping of #1 is via a hose clip, this provides some play and the length of the console as the dangly. The play allows #1 to be read without having to unclip anything, which results in less work taskloading than the DIR setup. The setup in #2 is similar in that it also does not require unclipping for reading, and while the retractor could be eliminated, it is present predominantly to allow the use of an integrated compass on the console.

#3 is a "much tighter" in-water modification to #1: it stays attached as before, but the console is stuffed, to eliminate even a 6" long dangle, to navigate through tight restrictions, or when snorkling back to shore in extremely shallow water (such as in places where you cannot choose to stand up).

Overall, what works best for you & your gear will depend on specifics. In general, #1 works better when the console has a short HP hose, and #2 facilitates a longer HP hose. Just remember that HP hoses can be replaced ;-)

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom