How do you survey a new dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even with "virgin" or "unknown" sites, most conditions can usually be adequately predicted and managed, except for the more variable current and entanglement hazards.

My approach is to gather info from charts and other divers and then dive the site more conservatively, perhaps opting for a buddy instead of solo the first time.

It's wise to plan contingencies for miscalculations, of course.... :D

Dave C

Look at it this way if someone didn't dive the unknown we wouldn't be having this conversation!
THAT hits the nail on the head!

In parts of the Caribbean, you can get a GENERAL idea of some of the tpography from Google Earth. The coral heads show up as quite a bit darker than the sand, for example. Not exactly a road map but, hey, why remove all of the fun of an "unknown" site?

It depends on what the down side is. If it's likely to be a dangerous dive if all aspects aren't known ahead of time I wouldn't do it. Since that's not the case for most of the dive sites I'm likely to do I would dive it more or less like I would dive the sites I do have experience with.

Figure out the entry and exit if a shore dive, figure out the likely current situation and any hazards that the area is known for and plan the dive just like any other.

drain it, map it, then fill it back up.

Lacking that....use whatever nav charts you can find. No charts? Do an underwater map yourself.

Other good answers to take into account tides, current, etc.

Don't forget the dive flag. Not too cool to map a site in a boat lane w/o proper signals.

Suppose you're going to dive a virgin site you know nothing about. Depth, topography, conditions, hazards... all completely unknown.

What would you do?

R..

Hmm, I guess I would just dive it!

Seriously, how can one know NOTHING about a site! If that is your starting point, you need to do some recon. Fisherman are about the best source!

We do a lot of diving on new sites here as there are not many divers! We usually see if we can locate features on the charts ang get GPS data on them, then we ask the local fishermen about the reef! we then dive it and see what is there,we have found some really good sites this way! If all els fails then we dive it anyway!

Let's just recap suggestions up to now:

• just dive it
  • avoid it
  • use a fish finder/depth finder/charts (digital an paper)/side-scan sonar/google earth to determine depth and topography before making (short) exploratory dives
  • interview locals (including LDS) and fishermen
  • take scooters to pad against the unknown
  • use a Secchi disc/current line to check viz and current
  • hire a guide
  • dive with a buddy; make contingency plans; use a dive flag

good suggestions. anything more?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom