How do YOU use baby shampoo to defog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies. Seems like almost any method works.

Have fun diving!

Thanks for the replies. Seems like almost any method works.

Have fun diving!

That is a fairly safe statement.

The inescapable companion fact is that it must be properly cleaned. Be sure to test your cleaning before you go diving.

Pete

I glad this came up! I heard about this and even after shampooing 2 or 3 times my mask was still fogging up!

Now I know

David:D

Ok I'm a newbie but on all 16 dives I've done spit has done the job fine. never had the slightest problem with fogging with either of the 2 masks I have.

Ok I'm a newbie but on all 16 dives I've done spit has done the job fine. never had the slightest problem with fogging with either of the 2 masks I have.

That's some good spit there.... :)

Works for me, too, except on long dives in cold water. Then spit tends to be a little less reliable than baby shampoo.

Maybe my spit is weak spit.... :D

Dave C

Used to use is full strength until my mask spent some time in the sand during a Search and Recovery Adventure dive. When I cleared the mask the inside of the lense was covered with sand that had stuck to the shampoo.

Now I use a 20/80% mix (20% shampoo, 80% water) and apply between dives because it is so easy and cheap. Buy a bottle of the shampoo at Costco and it will be in your family for decades.

If we are diving on a boat with a single shared rinse bucket we avoid using spit just out of respect to other divers and all the concerns these days about swapping bodily fluids around. Esp after a dive... you know when you have all of those gorgeous long drooolies coming out of your mask... we definitely rinse over the side.

Of course there are those who are totally clueless and drop their mask in the camera bucket... but we can save that for a different thread.

I've applied J&J just about every way imaginable and honestly don't think there is a wrong way to go about it. If you apply a couple of drops full strength you will need to rinse it a bit and the rinse is going to cut it down to some kind of ratio based upon how much and for how long. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I do tend to defog prior to every dive.

If we are diving on a boat with a single shared rinse bucket we avoid using spit just out of respect to other divers and all the concerns these days about swapping bodily fluids around. Esp after a dive... you know when you have all of those gorgeous long drooolies coming out of your mask... we definitely rinse over the side.

I never use a community bucket. If everyone would dip a little water out of the bucket, it would be fine, but morons drop their masks in the bucket and swish it around. It's now a bucket of soapy water - not good for rinsing after the first idiot screwed it up. I rinse in the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom