How Does Mike Nelson Equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

extremetito

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been watching episodes of Sea Hunt on Youtube, which brought me to wonder how divers wearing the oval masks (without indentations for pinching the nose) equalized their ears.

Press the mask to your face firmly and exhale though your nose.

Reactions: Jax
I've read about, but not tried, several equalization techniques that do not involve pinching your nose.

A document on the DAN site lists Frenzel Maneuver and Voluntary Tubal Opening as techniques that don't appear to require nose pinch.

I haven't watched Sea Hunt since it was a current show, but I assume he was using a large oval mask like a Voit. Those masks had two indentations on each side of the nose to allow the nose to be pinched. You can't see them looking head on. Do a google search for images of these masks and you should find plenty of shots that show it.

Last edited:
Some people can also swallow, wiggle their jaw, or stretch their neck while doing the aforementioned and equalize that way.
But Vincent is correct. He's Mike Nelson. The ocean forms a bubble around him to keep the pressure at ambient surface.
I was telling Jean Michel Cousteau this past weekend that his father and Mike were my heroes.

I have one of those masks.

Ditto what John said. I may still have mine.

Didn't you see the episode where he took the pill to keep the bends and narcosis away? Probably works for equalization as well!

..and now, I suddenly feel really old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom