How Does Mike Nelson Equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are supposed to squeeze your nose to equalize? I guess that I have been doing it wrong all this time!

Now if I could only remember to turn the tv on at 4 am to catch reruns of Sea Hunt instead of browsing SB.

For the OP, I have always swallowed to equalize, kind of like swallowing but only in the ear. Hard to explain but I seem to swallow while pushing from the ear forward and possibly out through the nose? Does that resemble any of the main techniques because when I read through them I can't really follow the method but I know that what I do works for me. I can even do fast descents without ear issues.

Never needed to pinch the nose or worry about the shape of the mask. I guess I am like Mike:bounce:

Last edited:
"Dead Man's Cove" ??

Not sure; it's the one where the husband drowned his wife and they made him out himself by claiming Mike was going down with some crazy "borrowed Navy rig" to try and recover the body.

Ah, maaan. Now I feel really old just because of remembering that much of an old TV show episode plot.

I knew someone would make a Chuck Norris quip for this. I have dove the Voit mask a few times, the thing fit so snuggly I could equalize without using my hands. As for the pill, it was dead mans cove. I wish they had a pill for nitrogen buildup to prevent narcosis and one that has helium in it!

Equalize...EQUALIZE...I don't need to equalize. I am MIKE NELSON.

I just wiggle my jaw :)

Equalize...EQUALIZE...I don't need to equalize. I am MIKE NELSON.
I just wiggle my jaw :)

"I was wiggling my jaw as I ambled along underwater just off the coast of a Mexican island, doing a survey of how much tequila and diving one could do in a week.."

It's my primary mask, love them, black out skirt, easy to rinse if the fog catches you, camera lens field of vision... and bonus, when slipped over mouth to form an airspace, you can talk underwater (no wonder I can't find dive buddies)

I digress. There are indentations to reach your nose if you wanted to pinch.

But I learned to flex my ears as a kid to equalize and only tonight learned it is called 'BEANCE TUBAIRE VOLONTAIRE'
So now I'm feeling grown up.

Keep it frequent!
Cameron

BTV. Sounds like a fit. We both learned something new tonight. Thanks Mike Nelson (and Cameron, too!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom