How Does Passage Visibilty Vary with High Tide Magnitude at Saint Andrews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at diving the passage at Saint Andrews State Park some where between March 19-24 as the high tides occur at good times. I am interested in if anyone knows how visibility varies with tidal magnitude as there is over a foot of difference during that time span for high tide height.

It's best at the end & peak of incoming high tide. Once it turns & heads out viz drops off a lot. It's safest around the slack times of either high or low tides, as once it gets going the current can get ripping pretty good.

It's best at the end & peak of incoming high tide. Once it turns & heads out viz drops off a lot. It's safest around the slack times of either high or low tides, as once it gets going the current can get ripping pretty good.
One of the dive shops said the slack tide is usually about an hour before high tide.

there are tide tables, lemme find you a link. the tables don't always tell the right story though. I've been when they didn't seem to quite match & sometimes the current wasn't as bad as expected.

I'd generally try to get in the water 1.5 to 2 hrs before peak of high tide, start by turning right & heading towards the gulf & then turn & drift it back in.

It can be dove even when the viz is crap, but then you really have to hug the rocks. I've done dives where there was maybe 4' or so of viz, but those few feet right on the rocks was remarkably clear. If the current is strong you can deal with that by getting close to the rocks. It's also not universal top to bottom so you might get some relief by changing depths.

People do fish from the rocks, usually towards the gulf in deeper water. Be prepared to cut yourself free if hooked. There's more to see generally if you stay shallower but doing so increases the risk of getting hooked by a fisherman :wink:

there are tide tables, lemme find you a link. the tables don't always tell the right story though. I've been when they didn't seem to quite match & sometimes the current wasn't as bad as expected.

I'd generally try to get in the water 1.5 to 2 hrs before peak of high tide, start by turning right & heading towards the gulf & then turn & drift it back in.

It can be dove even when the viz is crap, but then you really have to hug the rocks. I've done dives where there was maybe 4' or so of viz, but those few feet right on the rocks was remarkably clear. If the current is strong you can deal with that by getting close to the rocks. It's also not universal top to bottom so you might get some relief by changing depths.

People do fish from the rocks, usually towards the gulf in deeper water. Be prepared to cut yourself free if hooked. There's more to see generally if you stay shallower but doing so increases the risk of getting hooked by a fisherman :wink:
When you do this route do you find yourself crawling the rocks more with your hands to move against the tide? Or is the slack period slow enough to swim against without working hard and sucking air? One person mentioned an unhappy eel. I certainly wouldn't want to stick my hand into an eel hole while crawling the rocks.

I have looked at tide tables for those days. The times vary from about 11am to 3pm around March 18-24. The height or magnitude varies by over a foot.

I need to check water temp. I was only packing a 3mil, but the water now is too cold. I can add a jacket over the three mill and be ok to about 65*.

It sounding more like I will enter 1.5 hours before peak, but I'm still trying to find a partner. On the weekend I'm probably more likely to run into one, but also more likely to get hooked by a fisherman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom