How Far Is Utila From Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about taking a trip to the Bay Islands. There is a lot of discussion about what each offers on this site. But is it possible to stay and dive on Roatan and take a boat over to Utilia for a couple days of different diving? Is this a service offered by any dive ops? If I was traveling to Utila straightaway, what is the normal travel route? Thanks in advance for your help.:D

When I went to Utila in April ~ We flew to Roatan and took a small charter plane over to Utila. I think the flight is about 15 minutes.
I don't know if there are other options available.

Hi

Utila is approx 20miles from Roatan, there are no official direct boats between the islands at the moment, there is a ferry from Roatan to La Ceiba and from La Ceiba to Utila or on certain days mostly Saturdays there is a flight direct from Roatan to Utila.

The other option for about $150 you can hire your own plane to do the trip.

If money is not an issue, the quickest way between Roatan and Utila is charter flight (approx $300-530 a 4 seater plane, I think, depending upon the Charter company).
Next is a scheduled flight, this is not a daily service (schedules vary) and beware the flight may be routed through La Ceiba. Contact Morgans Travel Utila (Email: UtilaMorgansTravel@yahoo.com) for latest charter & scheduled flight details.

Most people take the ferry, the Galaxy from Roatan to La Ceiba (300 Lps - approx $US 15.80), then the Utila Princess II from La Ceiba to Utila (300 Lps - approx $US 15.80). Leave Roatan at 7:00am for La Ceiba and you should be able to catch the 9:30 Utila Princess from La Ceiba to Utila, arriving Utila about 10:30am.

The usual route directly to Utila, is to travel to the Honduras mainland port of La Ceiba (Muelle de Cabotage) and catch the Utila Princess II ferry from there. The Roatan Galaxy ferry and the Utila Princess II dock next to each other at the port in La Ceiba.

Regards - Mark

Thanks guys. Your posts gave me all the info I was looking for. Sounds like the Galaxy is the way to go. When I come, I think I will build in a couple more days and see and dive both islands.

I'm flying UTL to RTB today. We got quoted $165 On Roatan Air Services Cessna, and $220hr on Bay Islands Airways Seaplane. This is for the plane, not per person (Cessna holds 3, Seaplane 2).

Rates are always subject to change of course, but that was the rate as of yesterday when we booked.

If you were only wanting to visit for a day, Anthony's Key used to offer day trips to Utila or Barbaretta. Not sure if they still do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom