Roatan and Utila in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DougA

I think Roatan Divers is a great choice. A more extensive watching of their webcam will show more than an occasional 15 customer diver load plus 3 staff. Their “limit” seems as many people they can load. It may be caused by a large charter dive group, but again- more than occasionally packed to the max.

8DC012D2-25E5-45B6-AAC3-3B8B30D2B3A6.jpeg

It’s interesting that you’re ready to take advice online from ScubaBoard in regards to a dive operation - yet as much information as there is about using ATMs that’s been posted here (or even the prone-to-cheerleading Twit Advisor) you’ve skipped over that entirely. I liken the use of an ATM on Roatan very similar to renting a Roatan car. It’s like Russian roulette…five out of six people have a great day using an ATM on Roatan. It as at best, ill advised. The ones that hear “the bang” don’t tend to talk about it as much. And hacking is very common

There is at least one debit card that is now usable with Roatan ATMs, i advise charging several with $300 amt pre pays, draining them to $0 one at a time, toss them out.

I myself do not have cares, i stay at an AI that i can arrive, leave my cash in my long pants on a wall hook with $1600 in wallet, where it will safely remain at least for my 39 years of visits. My Ai choice uses 50’ diveboats that can load with 70 tanks but rarely exceed 15 assigned divers.

I am going in three weeks and plan on diving with Roatan Divers in the West End. Based on recommendations from here (but I have never been). Apparently they limit the number of divers per boat, have their own dock, and are a generally good and reputable outfit. And they have a dock-cam that I have checked out numerous times.

As long as I'm here - a question about money
I just discovered, after the bank said 'no-problem', that yes, getting Honduran lempira here in the states is a problem. Any advice out there, other than bring clean-pristine U.S. greenbacks? Can one easily and safely withdraw lempira at an ATM in the West End?
Final thoughts: 1) I always know that the quandary sitting here at home, will be clear and easy by the time I leave, and 2) I'm lucky to have such a problem. 🌞
My experience on Utila is that there are two ATMs and one of them has been known to eat cards with the bank sending them back to your bank (so good luck getting it). The other ATM typically has enough and no problems or fees to pull the money from your card.
I suspect Roatan is similar; I am going to Utila and Roatan in June so will get my money in Utila. Some places take credit cards on Utila so I can only think that Roatan is much the same. For dollar bills, $20 bills without ANY tear or sign of wear can be used. Smallest of tear and the stores etc won't take it.
But you can always try and exchange money at the airport. But, that's another issue as the exchange rate is not as good as the ATMs.

I just did a week in Utilia at Tank'd. I liked it. It is on the quiet side and I think they only have one boat that I saw. Once the seats were filled that was it. I think Altons is next door or very close and seemed like it was a good place. Utilia Dive Center look like a big college dorm pumping out PADI students.
UDC is focused on producing students. It is a GREAT dive shop to learn and has some fun dives. The reason it looks like a college dorm is because most students are young. Across all of Utila, a lot of the professional dive students are young but it's the people that make Utila... Utila.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom