How far would you take a loved one who wants to become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first learned to dive on SCUBA at 8 years old from the "Mom and Dad" agency in our family backyard pool in 1964. There was no "agency" bs and my dad and mom were my hero's.

MvvxnGT.jpg

I am instructor in everything, so have teached friends to all kind of levels. From open water to cave to trimix to ccr.

I did a lot of swimming and snorkeling with both my kids when they were young. I turned them over to a professional for scuba training
Same here. I had hoped my girls would want to get certified when old enough. I got them swim training starting around 6 months old. Then added mask and snorkel when they could. Took them scalloping, etc.

I had an instructor take over on the Scuba training. As mentioned above, they were very comfortable in the water and had no trouble with any of the skills.

I'd sign them up for a discover scuba session with a DM/instructor in good or amazing conditions. It's a relatively low-risk way to introduce them to diving, and with good conditions they won't be task loading and can just enjoy it. I would want their first experience to be as positive as possible.

I would never consider instructing friends or family -- even in a pool setting. There is a professional distance that I believe is important, particularly early on in the learning curve.

It's all relative,
12 years ago I wanted to introduce my wife to SCUBA we were in the Toronto area and I decided to take her up to Tobermory for a discover scuba, from there she then took an open water and we have been diving ever since, ( at the time I was relatively new to SCUBA, only a few 100s dives and that was what I was comfortable with.) forward a few years to well now.. This summer we are planning a dive trip with my niece, she did he open water last year and only has 3 dives ( post course). I and planning a checkout dive prior to our trip but then take her to do some drift dives in the northern St-Lawrence. Although I never seen her dive, I am confident she will be able to be comfortable in the water. Most importantly I am fully aware of my skills and my abilities to help out someone in those conditions ( Cold water, drift dive, average visibility, new diver, possible buoyancy issues to name a few)
But to say, as most has already said It is on you to know your own limitation and experience. People don't know what the don't know, and as much as this is a wonderful, life changing sport, it comes with it's own set of risks which is your responsibility to know.
I know I couldn't live with myself knowing I put someone ( especially a loved one in harms way ). I know my limits, do you?

Did you train them in things like mask clearing, equalization, etc?
…that is all part of the ‘SCUBA’ experience. Yes I have turned a few friends into ‘frogs’. I take the time and patience and get their feedback. My best intro person was only 5 years old. She wanted to try…I was hesitant, however, she listened to EVERYTHING and watched my mask removal, replacement and clearing and did the exact same maneuvers just great. No sputtering or any of the adverse effects. After she tried it and took a few trips around the pool on top of my tank breathing off my octo, told her mom “ I want to take up SCUBA”. I told ‘Mom’ to wait a few years and look for a shop with certification courses and recommended she take SCUBA with her as I lived way too far away to be a reliable partner. The ‘kid’ did better than the 2 adults I demoed that day and all did very well. 😀🤿💦

I'd never train a friend/family member. I've had this issue being a flight instructor previously but always decided to side step it.

1) Objectivity is going to be a big question. Am I evaluating them based on my experience and training or letting them slide by 'good enough' because they're a friend? Other part of it is are they going to be objective enough to realize I'm not their friend during training and instead respect the student/instructor relationship.

2) Am I a crutch for them? When they go out on their own, will they now act differently because I'm no longer around to be a crutch for them to lean on. My GF just got her OW and I stayed as far away from her training as possible because I wanted her to be a fully competent diver on her own.

3) Blame game should something happen. Should I miss a bad habit or fail to adequately cover something, and the worst happens, am I going to be able to live with myself? It's much easier to let someone else be the bad guy that I can mentally blame. I count myself lucky I've never lost a student to my knowledge but I've lost more than a few coworkers over the years.

I'd never train a friend/family member. I've had this issue being a flight instructor previously but always decided to side step it.

1) Objectivity is going to be a big question. Am I evaluating them based on my experience and training or letting them slide by 'good enough' because they're a friend? Other part of it is are they going to be objective enough to realize I'm not their friend during training and instead respect the student/instructor relationship.

2) Am I a crutch for them? When they go out on their own, will they now act differently because I'm no longer around to be a crutch for them to lean on. My GF just got her OW and I stayed as far away from her training as possible because I wanted her to be a fully competent diver on her own.

3) Blame game should something happen. Should I miss a bad habit or fail to adequately cover something, and the worst happens, am I going to be able to live with myself? It's much easier to let someone else be the bad guy that I can mentally blame. I count myself lucky I've never lost a student to my knowledge but I've lost more than a few coworkers over the years.
….understandable J C… I have to go through the same scenario and make the demo recipient ‘ know ‘ that this is NOT a SCUBA class and before beginning that they seek professional certification training to learn to dive. Part of my DM certification was assisting instructors teaching classes including rescue techniques and evaluating each potential demo recipient or student for issues that may prevent them from being a safe diver..(..watch the eyes..a big clue..)… Don’t discourage them if an issue shows but try to work safely through it and don’t be afraid to state if you think ‘Diving’ is for them…or not. …not trying to toot my own horn, however of the 3 instructors I have worked with to earn my Divemaster Certification have ALL praised my patience even with difficult people. This approach is NOT for everyone and I don’t make it a habit for certified divers to demo SCUBA. My demos begin on the pool deck above the water and go step by step from there as I make an effort to include as much as I can. Before I took classes someone offered me a demo along w/two of my snorkeling buddies. It wasn’t thorough, it wasn’t a bad demo, but I got the incentive to take professional courses to get certified.

I respect your point of view and practice …as we all know…SCUBA IS Life support equipment and should be treated as such..😀🤿🐸

I DO have to mention a ‘student’ in a class that I filled in for one of my other DM candidates, ripped.. (…yes Ripped 🤿…)… off my dive mask in Ginnie Springs am I was expecting a ‘panic’ diver rescue… he told instructor that he thought it would be ‘amusing’ and was immediately sent back to Virginia along with stern warnings. Sadly my instructors ‘had’ to certify him as he ‘passed’ ALL of his class including OW skills portion. ….more to this story. My thoughts…be ready for anything. 😕💦

Be Safe out there!!
S G B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom