How fast does "getting out of shape" happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
I'm a motivated worker for other people but when it comes to doing things for myself I tend to say "why bother." Guess I need a workout buddy who has the same availability I do.
Ber :lilbunny:

I guess it's time to start thinking like a diver. A good diver is self-sufficient and self-reliant, and though he may dive with a buddy, he knows that nothing beats being prepared when it comes to dealiing with the ugly stuff.

I'm very sure that you're very thorough when it comes to checking your gear prior to a dive. You would not trust anybody else with going over your set-up and telling you "Looks alright", because you know exactly how your gear is rigged and that works well for you. Why not apply the same mentality to your physical fitness? You, and only you know what you need to do, and nobody else is going to do it for you. If you cannot find enough motivation within yourself to get the job started, you have already failed. You may go a couple of times and perhaps get started, but without motivation, every little thing will become a major excuse, and soon you'll be back where you started.

A workout buddy is great, but not necessary. Provided that both of you have the same level of physical fitness and make-up, it makes the routines flow smoothly and gives ADDITIONAL incentive. Notice that I said ADDITIONAL, because again, if you lack self-motivation, that too fades easily. What if your workout partner cannot make it one day? Will you blow out an entire session? Will you have a mediocre session at best? Besides, once you start your routines and establish a schedule, you're likely to meet a training partner more suited to your needs, unless you already have a specific person in mind, but again, I would not make it essential.

It all boils down to how bad you really want it. If you can visualize it, feel it, there will be no stopping you. The road is not easy. Is choked with wannbe's who will try to block your way and try to tempt you with an "easy" way out. There's no such thing. Nothing beats will, effort, and guts. For your body to change, it has to be challenged. That is easy at first, going from nothing to something will produce some results. The long term however, will require a lot of your mental endurance, and this is where you'll need all motivation. When you're more advanced, and want your body to change, the challenges are not pleasant, but the rewards are all the sweeter. Most people never make it to this stage. They lack the mental discipline for it.

So Why Bother? Because there's a lot more at stake than just a few pounds. It's about finding out more about yourself and if you really have it.

So pack your bag and head there inmediately. Think of a REALLY crucial reason to keep procastinating. Chances are you won't find it. Head there... You have doubts? There's always floor personel to assist you. Want something more customized? Hire a qualified trainer and get some good books on the subject.

So Why Bother? Because it's about you, and you're worth it! :wink:

Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it goes. Good luck

Ber Rabbit:
Guess I need a workout buddy who has the same availability I do.

My buddies are Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Cars, Gypsie Kings, Lucky Doobie......they all get my blood flowing.....And they're always available. :D

Hank49:
My buddies are Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Cars, Gypsie Kings, Lucky Doobie......they all get my blood flowing.....And they're always available. :D

I have a CD I made to work out with but all I can ever think about is "The first song isn't even done and I'm dying here!"

I'm trying to cut the soda out of my routine. When I got this "sit-down" job I developed a Coke habit. I would drink 2-4 a day at work and that's probably a huge culprit there. I've been good for almost 2 weeks and only had water at work (I need to bring a sliced lemon in for variety) :)

My sister and I used to go to the YMCA a few years ago, that actually worked pretty well for both of us but now we're on different shifts so that's not an option. Once I get in a gym I have trouble getting out, my old workouts were 30 min cardio, an hour on the weight machines and 30 minutes stretching. I don't know how to shorten that and I just don't have that kind of time.

I found a workout group (small group lead by a personal trainer) that met in the mornings worked best for me.

They would call you if you didn't show up. There was a lot of peer pressure and peer support.

The morning time slot gave me no excuses -- no dinner parties or other social conflicts -- after all, my friends were sleeping while I was working out. The trainer was firm about attaining the next level and not slacking, but she was still a very nice person who was approachable.

It was just all good until I took a job an hour away from home. Now, no time. It was also expensive.

Ber Rabbit:
I have trouble getting out, my old workouts were 30 min cardio, an hour on the weight machines and 30 minutes stretching. I don't know how to shorten that and I just don't have that kind of time.

That's why I have a bowflex and keep it between the kitchen and the couch in the living room. 2 hours is a looooong workout. I'm 50 and have found that 40 minutes or so on a muscle group or two per day keeps me lean. So I try to hit all groups once a week and do two to three cardios/week. I've found that the recovery time is much longer too now. If I miss a muscle group for even 10 days, the first time I do it again there is pain for a couple days after. And if I do cardio I do a light ab or arm workout afterwards.
I guess it depends if you want to train to a world class athlete level or just keep the fat off. I think it's good to keep the "white" muscle, or connective tissue strong so if I fall I heal faster and don't get hurt so bad. It's worked wonders on my partially herniated disk too. No more pain.
I think the hardest part for anyone starting to exercise is just getting started. Be patient. Time passes so damn fast now, that a year will pass and you'll be looking at Arnold in the mirror before you know it.:D
I try to avoid sodas too. I do carrot juice (among others) daily now. It's good for energy before a workout. My hands have had an orange tint for about 7 months. Some tell me I'm nuts, which may be true, but if I was one of our shrimp pond experiments I'd be stoked. I haven't had a cold or flu now for almost a year (come Christmas). Normally I get 2 or 3 a year.

Ber Rabbit:
I'm trying to cut the soda out of my routine. When I got this "sit-down" job I developed a Coke habit. I would drink 2-4 a day at work and that's probably a huge culprit there. I've been good for almost 2 weeks and only had water at work (I need to bring a sliced lemon in for variety) :)
That's my biggest problem as well. Well, that and sitting in front of the PC surfing SB and munching :D Both are seeing a reduction along with an increase in activity level though. I managed to get through a 1km swim today and once doing a mile doesn't kill me, I may combine it with the gym. I think the key though is to get out and do something, anything, as long as it gets you moving and away from being sedentary.

Hank49 really nailed it. Good Advice. I don't bowflex(no room-to much dive gear) but I simply use a small set of dumbells. I'll alternate arms, shoulders, chest each day. I only do a couple sets and can finish my weights in about 20 minutes. All you need is a chair(which can be placed in front of computer while SBing!) and dumbells. Also, pushups are awesome and don't require any equipment.

Ok, I was fairly good last week. Didn't get to the gym but did manage to make myself do the first half of a workout video I've had for years. I had to quit after the first half (about 15 min) because my legs were TOAST! I knew I was going to be sore so no point making it worse by finishing the workout, I can't believe how weak my legs have gotten. I did the video on Wed and Fri, the only days I had time to sneak something in. Will try to sneak another session in today :) Started taking my vitamins again too though they upset my stomach to the point of making me vomit if I eat anything with them, that's something new. Trying to stick with baby steps for now to keep from burning out before I can get into a groove. I picked up a sculpting bar and a couple more video's that looked fun to keep me interested if I don't have time to go to the gym. Finding out how weak my legs have gotten has given me a goal which was something I needed :)

Awesome! It's a very good idea to go very slow in the beginning. Also, regarding vitamins, basically you only need your required RDA-non of that mega vitamin stuff-your body only uses what it needs and the rest goes down the toilet(and is kinda flourescent yellow).
:sprite10:

Ber Rabbit:
I knew I was going to be sore so no point making it worse by finishing the workout, I can't believe how weak my legs have gotten. Ber :lilbunny:

As we get older the legs go first, so I've observed and been told. And if you had any tendon type knee injuries, now is pay back time. As Rapid diver says, go slow. I tried to push it about three years ago and strained my knee. I had to stop squats for about 2 months. Pushing too hard can totally defeat the purpose. Build up slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom