How fast does "getting out of shape" happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy:
:06: Are you sure that is what your PT said?
I think your PT was just trying to scare you from putting anything overhead. :D Happy and fast recovery
It's actually a 3 year old injury so I that's really all I remember about what she said but I think she was trying to keep the explanations in laymans terms. She didn't say it would actually tear it she said that particular muscle lifts, that's all it does and if the inner muscles of the rotator cuff are not strong enough to resist the upward pull it's as if the larger muscle were trying to tear my shoulder apart. She was trying to let me know we had to strengthen the opposing muscle group. I remember she couldn't believe how far forward my shoulders sit in their sockets and how my shoulder blades stick out like chicken wings, she was calling other people over to show them and told me "You're built weird". Overhead lifting isn't exactly the right term, I would grab 35+/- pound trays (3 ft long) off of shelves that were anywhere from knee to chest high. I pull straight out with my right hand, catch the bottom of the dropping tray with my left hand continuting the motion until my right hand is by my hip at which point I begin a circular motion that brings the tray up past my ear and onto a platform that's anywhere from eye level to as far up as I can reach. I tended to keep my shoulders up by my ears (shrugged if you will) while doing this. The PT said I had to focus on keeping my shoulders relaxed. I don't remember the name of the muscle she was talking about but my sister always called it "the hand" you could see the definition of every "finger" in that muscle on my shoulder after I had been doing the job for a few years so I know it was getting stronger. I remember a couple of the exercises we did, standing with my nose against a wall and bouncing a ball against it while moving my arm in an arc. Laying on my back with a dumbbell in my hand with arm extended to ceiling and simply lifting my shoulder, my body was cheating on this one and it took a long time for her to figure out how to do it to work the intended muscle group. Once she figured that out I went from being able to do the exercise with 25 pounds to only being able to do it with 5 pounds. We had to back off some of the exercises because the therapy combined with my job (even though I went to light duty) was doing more harm than good. We finally found a good mix and I was able to return to my job using a different lifting method, I learned to lift with elbows close to my body instead of spread like chicken wings. Now I'm in an office job so I should be able to start weight training since the extra stress of the job is no longer a factor. The doc had advised against working my shoulders at the gym (other than the PT exercises) after getting the results after I did my therapy.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hank49:
Could you give me a bit more detail on this? I have a bit of the same problem with shoulder "stiffness" (a bit of pain) when I start military presses or ...sidways flies? (I'm sorry I don't know all the terminology). It goes away after a set or two but a few days later when I start, it's back again. I do rowing and I think "reverse flies" but I'm not sure of the terms. Thanks

No problem. Stand up, bend your arms, now lift them sideways (kind of like doing the chicken dance :D ) pull your elbows back (keeping them elevated and higher than the wrists) squeeze your shoulder blades and return. Your are now working in the transverse plane. Ie, for seated cable rows, use a straight bar and make sure that you grip with fingers facing down. You can perform the motion with cables, bands, barbells, dumbbells, kettlebels, etc, seating, standing, or even lying down ( a transverse pull-up) As long as you keep the arms in the right position, the lats will cease being the primary movers, and the load will shift to the anchors of the shoulder blades and the postural muscles.

As for your problem with your shoulder before military pressing, you did not mention if you used BBs or DBs, so I'll assume BBs. One thing you can do prior to engaging in shoulder joint activity is increase the space of the bursa. This is easily accomplished. Grab a light dumbbell or weight plate (usually 10 lbs is sufficient for most people) bend over or lean forward with support. Now let the weight hang. Let the weight move in controlled circular motions from the shoulder (as if you were stirring) 10 times clock wise, 10 time counter clockwise. You should feel the weight gently pulling down (traction) switch sides, repeat once more per side. That should be enough to prevent any type of inpingement.

Watch your pressing techique. When military pressing, make sure to get the head through the arms as the bar clears your face. That will place the weight in a far stronger and more stable position. If it hurts, well, you need to start working on your uper body flexibility. One of the most common problems when people military press is that they keep the bar in front of their heads when pressing it, and some have even the tendency to look up as they do it. Needless to say that the strain this type of movement puts in the cervical spine and the shoulder joint, strip this exercise of any possible benefits one could derive from it. Military pressing is a terrific exercise, but it has to be done properly.

If you military press with DBs, they are a little easier on your joints. You can use the standard grip (fingers facing the front, get head through the arms) or a neutral grip if that bothers you (fingers facing each other). If you had no shoulder issues and want to really maximize your Upper body strength, try pressing russian style (wide, one arm at a time).

The movement that you're referring to sounds like the DB lateral raises. That is an exercise when done properly, it's impossible to use a huge amount of weight, why? because you're working the shoulder as a type III lever, one that is suitable more for speed rather than force production. The meatheads I meet claiming otherwise, always end bending the arms so much that they produce something like a combination of an upright row and sideways reverse curl, as opposed to the arc they're supposed to form. Now, if you bend your arms at a 90 degree angle, you'll be able to lift a little more weight (shorter lever arm) and you'll be able to target some rotator cuff muscles (supraspinatus and infraspinatus) as they work isometrically. Make sure the elbows are always slightly higher than the wrists. It all depends on your goals. I hope this answers your question. :14:

Happy diving and stay healthy

Thanks Coach. Very helpful. I use a bowflex by the way. No gyms near me (nothing is near me but forest and swamp) and a small house. I do the seated cable row but I need to focus the weight more in my ...anchors or shoulder blades and postural muscles. You're right about technique. It's so easy to let the arms take over in many exercises. I military press sitting and do behind the head, wide grip sometimes narrow others. I vary a lot. Thanks again, Hank

Back
Top Bottom