How important is a log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always keep a log for dives during travel. Sometimes there is one page with dive details, and the next three pages describe restaurants and meals, sightseeing adventures, historical notes, etc.

I stopped logging my dives when I hit about 500 dives. When I took my Tri-Mix Instructor's course, my instructor-trainer, Jon, required me to send him copies of my logbook pages documenting 350 dives, as well as other documentation that related to the prerequisites for the course. I sent him a package that was about an inch thick. A couple of years later I was taking an instructor-trainer class and Jon was one of the presentors. His subject was paperwork and record keeping. As part of his presentaition he referred to me and related, "Dale sent me copies of the required logbook pages documenting 350 dives and they were all prior to 1978."

There is a lot of wisdom in this thread. All I can add is that when I travel, I often fill in my log after the dive and therefore don't have a buddy to sign it. I've never run into an issue with documentation for my dives.

Maybe it is a bit of a tangent, but can anyone comment on the usefullness (or not) of the new computers that integrate with your PC for logging purposes? Do they help with tracking and logging dive information and automating log books?

We have the ProPlus 2 and the OceanLog software from Oceanic. Once I figured out the software I like it. Was a PITA though until I got it to work properly. We're still figuring stuff out about it. Downloading is easy and I take the information from the computer and write it into my logbook to take with me when I travel. Figure I could just as easily print pages, but I like the convenience of the logbook.

Paper logbooks just feel more permanent and accessible. My old flight log is a treasured possession. I've lost too many electronic logs in the past when computers crashed, including five years of astronomical observations (over 3,000 objects) when my computer crashed and my backup was overwritten by the techs trying to fix/recover the data. I'll always keep paper now.

So I have started reconstruction and actually, I have more info than I thought, although my entires were are usually missing the actual information that might be of help (weights, temp, etc).

Ok, so here is my second question. Anyone got a good template to use? I am going to plan on taking notes of each dive and then will end up transferring to some template in a spreadsheet or something.

I keep a paper log book that I record my dives in. Mostly just brief notes to jog my memory so that when I get to my pc and the internet, I can log into diverecord.com and record more details about the dive. It offers as much or as little as you want to log, plus it keeps track of your experience level for you. The other neat thing is that you can choose to allow others to see it. This comes in handy when you travel and an operator wants to verify your log.... you just give them the website and they can look it up on line. That way you dont have to drag your book with you everywhere you go.

Somebody on Scubaboard had the link on their signature line. That's how I came accross it. I have no vested interest in it so I am not getting anything for promoting the site. I just think that it is a neat way to go.... besides that, it is totally free and free is my favorite price. :D

Hope this helps.

Steve

Ok, so here is my second question. Anyone got a good template to use? I am going to plan on taking notes of each dive and then will end up transferring to some template in a spreadsheet or something.

I order log pages from dive-logs.com. They have a number of specific templates available, like naturalist (for keeping a record of your wildlife sightings), photographer, and they're available in computer-focused and nitrox versions. They also have logs for commercial, instructors and tech divers. FWIW, I also got the small binder from them, which is much neater than the big A5 folders you normally get, but still has enough room for my tables, c-cards, computer manual etc and most importantly, is waterproof.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough - their customer service is excellent. Even if you still prefer to make your own, you might get some good ideas there.

You will most likely never regret keeping a log ... but you "might" regret not doing so ... either way, it's your choice :)

Aloha, Tim

I think Tim summed it up nicely.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I keep a paper log book that I record my dives in. Mostly just brief notes to jog my memory so that when I get to my pc and the internet, I can log into diverecord.com and record more details about the dive. It offers as much or as little as you want to log, plus it keeps track of your experience level for you. The other neat thing is that you can choose to allow others to see it. This comes in handy when you travel and an operator wants to verify your log.... you just give them the website and they can look it up on line. That way you dont have to drag your book with you everywhere you go.

I am a little weary of online logbooks such as this. What happens when the owner/operator gets hit by a bus? You have no way to retrieve the information..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom