How is Alona Tropical resort? ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Sebastian,

Alona Kew is in the middle of the beach, Alona Tropical at the end, so the Kew is closer to things like shops, I-cafe, and dive store. But it's more quiet at the Tropical, no bike noise, and the walk down the beach isn't very long anyway. It depends on what you prefer.

Seaquest Dive Center is next to Alona Kew. I enjoyed diving with them and I liked the people at Sea Explorers at the Tropical as well.

I don't remember about the hot water - you probably won't miss it, you'll get warm water :)

As an alternative, Alonaland Cottages is across the road from the Tropical, off the beach, and very reasonably priced. I had a 2 story villa with kitchen and terrace for USD 320. for a month, high season.

Kupu:
I thought Leyte was definitely worth the effort, and from Cebu it is almost as easy to get to as Panglao, just a longer jeepney or taxi ride once you get off the ferry in Ormoc. If it wasn't for the diving I would get bored after a couple of days but the diving was quite nice, if conditions allow try to get out to Limasawa island a time or two. There are only two dive operations in located in Southern Leyte, Peters Dive Resort and Southern Leyte Divers (WWW.LEYTE-DIVERS.COM) which is where I stayed based on the recomendation of my DM from Malapascua. Seems like most people head to Peters and it is located in Padre Burgos putting you a bit closer to the action, such as it is. I was quite happy diving with Gunter and Co at Southern Leyte Divers, located a couple of minutes out of Padre Burgos in baranggay San Roque.

Hi Kupu,

Does Southern Leyte Divers go to dive sites inside Sogod Bay? I believe I was told once before they primarily go to Limasawa and don't go into Sogod (also their website only shows Limasawa dive sites). There is some really good diving (including marine sanctuary on the far side (eastern side) of the bay that Peter goes to.

Cheers,
Drew

happybuddha:
Hi Kupu,

Does Southern Leyte Divers go to dive sites inside Sogod Bay? I believe I was told once before they primarily go to Limasawa and don't go into Sogod (also their website only shows Limasawa dive sites). There is some really good diving (including marine sanctuary on the far side (eastern side) of the bay that Peter goes to.

Cheers,
Drew

Howdy,

Yes, we went to the Sogod Bay sites on a regular basis as well. The marine sanctuary was very nice, did 4 dives there. On the other side of the bay close to Padre Burgos Medicare and Max Climax were my favorites. Really, I would have liked to make it out to the Limasawa sites a bit more than we were able but suface conditions were a bit rough to make the crossing some days. As long as conditions allowed I was more or less able to pick the sites I wanted to see while diving with Southern Leyte Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom