how long after tooth extraction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted. The oral surgeon didn't seem to have a grasp on how long I should wait before returning to diving and seemed to be most concerned about "stuff" getting in my mouth while diving in the ocean. I am planning on waiting at least 2 weeks, but does anyone have any contrary advice? My concerns would be mainly sinus issues as the upper wisdom tooth typically pokes into the sinus cavity.

Thanks much!
Dave

Were they impacted such that they were actually protruding into the sinus?

Best regards,
DDM

From DAN's website, Medical FAQs:
Diving and Wisdom Teeth
question.png
DAN Sinks Its Teeth Into Dental Issues and DivingMy wife had oral surgery about six weeks ago for the removal of a wisdom tooth. The dentist said that there is no infection, and the wound is healing nicely. But it was deeply rooted, and the nerve was traumatized. She's still taking painkillers. The problem is that we are going on a trip to Hawaii next week, where we planned to make a few -- i.e., two to four -- dives. Her oral surgeon, who's not a diver, said that it's probably not a very good idea for her to dive. What's your read?

First, let's state what might be obvious. If your wife's surgery had been routine, with normal healing, uncomplicated by infection or pain and she could hold a regulator without discomfort, then it would be hard to advise her to wait any longer than she has already waited -- i.e., six weeks. Normally, four to six weeks is sufficient time to allow for the risk of infection, provided there has been good healing and gum tissue has begun to fill in the empty socket. However, the nerve trauma may indicate that her case may be different. I had to consult with two of DAN's referral oral surgeons with experience in dive medicine for assistance on this issue.

Occasionally, proper healing is delayed, often in smokers or older people. In such cases, air can be forced into the subcutaneous tissues by the increased pressures in the mouth during a dive. This condition could further delay the healing process and can be uncomfortable.

Pain can impede the ability to hold the mouthpiece in place; a loosely held regulator during submersion can present a possible drowning hazard. One consultant also cautioned on returning too early to diving based on the softness of the lower jawbone (mandible) after a wisdom tooth extraction. The end of the mandible remains fragile until it's fully healed. Additionally, it is subject to fracturing when pressure is placed on the bone, such as when gripping a regulator in place.

Theoretically, if there is still some localized swelling (edema), offgassing of nitrogen from the area during decompression could be impaired. Although decompression illness in a small area of the jaw seems unlikely, we have insufficient data to be sure.

Finally, some types of pain medicine (those containing codeine, oxycodone or other narcotics) could promote nitrogen narcosis and impair performance and judgment underwater. Both consultants agreed that if you still have symptoms, diving is not a good idea.

Guidelines for diving after most dental surgery include waiting for:

1) A minimum of four to six weeks or until the tooth socket or oral tissue has sufficiently healed to minimize the risk of infection or further trauma;

2) Medication to control pain resulting from the surgery has been discontinued and there is no risk of drug interaction with nitrogen; and

3) The diver can hold the regulator mouthpiece without pain or discomfort for a period of time sufficient to perform a planned scuba dive.

Other Dental FAQs
Diving with a cracked tooth
Diving With Dental Braces
Diving and Root Canals
Dental Implants
Diving with a cracked tooth"

© DAN, Inc. All rights reserved.SITE MAPADVERTISEPRIVACY POLICYLOGO POLICYTERMS & CONDITIONSCONTACT US

Were they impacted such that they were actually protruding into the sinus?

Best regards,
DDM

They were not impacted, but rather fully erupted for many years. That top tooth is still very close to the sinus...

From DAN's website, Medical FAQs:
Diving and Wisdom Teeth
question.png
DAN Sinks Its Teeth Into Dental Issues and DivingMy wife had oral surgery about six weeks ago for the removal of a wisdom tooth. The dentist said that there is no infection, and the wound is healing nicely. But it was deeply rooted, and the nerve was traumatized. She's still taking painkillers. The problem is that we are going on a trip to Hawaii next week, where we planned to make a few -- i.e., two to four -- dives. Her oral surgeon, who's not a diver, said that it's probably not a very good idea for her to dive. What's your read?

First, let's state what might be obvious. If your wife's surgery had been routine, with normal healing, uncomplicated by infection or pain and she could hold a regulator without discomfort, then it would be hard to advise her to wait any longer than she has already waited -- i.e., six weeks. Normally, four to six weeks is sufficient time to allow for the risk of infection, provided there has been good healing and gum tissue has begun to fill in the empty socket. However, the nerve trauma may indicate that her case may be different. I had to consult with two of DAN's referral oral surgeons with experience in dive medicine for assistance on this issue.

Occasionally, proper healing is delayed, often in smokers or older people. In such cases, air can be forced into the subcutaneous tissues by the increased pressures in the mouth during a dive. This condition could further delay the healing process and can be uncomfortable.

Pain can impede the ability to hold the mouthpiece in place; a loosely held regulator during submersion can present a possible drowning hazard. One consultant also cautioned on returning too early to diving based on the softness of the lower jawbone (mandible) after a wisdom tooth extraction. The end of the mandible remains fragile until it's fully healed. Additionally, it is subject to fracturing when pressure is placed on the bone, such as when gripping a regulator in place.

Theoretically, if there is still some localized swelling (edema), offgassing of nitrogen from the area during decompression could be impaired. Although decompression illness in a small area of the jaw seems unlikely, we have insufficient data to be sure.

Finally, some types of pain medicine (those containing codeine, oxycodone or other narcotics) could promote nitrogen narcosis and impair performance and judgment underwater. Both consultants agreed that if you still have symptoms, diving is not a good idea.

Guidelines for diving after most dental surgery include waiting for:

1) A minimum of four to six weeks or until the tooth socket or oral tissue has sufficiently healed to minimize the risk of infection or further trauma;

2) Medication to control pain resulting from the surgery has been discontinued and there is no risk of drug interaction with nitrogen; and

3) The diver can hold the regulator mouthpiece without pain or discomfort for a period of time sufficient to perform a planned scuba dive.

Other Dental FAQs
Diving with a cracked tooth
Diving With Dental Braces
Diving and Root Canals
Dental Implants
Diving with a cracked tooth"

© DAN, Inc. All rights reserved.SITE MAPADVERTISEPRIVACY POLICYLOGO POLICYTERMS & CONDITIONSCONTACT US

This is a great set of guidelines...
I have no nerve issues and no pain. I was only on painkillers the day of the surgery. Surgeon said I was healing "normally". That being said, it sounds like 4-6 weeks is the right amount of time to wait. I'm on week 2, so i'll give it another week or so and get in the pool to make sure I don't have any pain/fatigue holding the reg.

Thanks!

I dove exactly 2 weeks after my wisdom teeth were extracted. In fact, they were my OW checkout dives.

All 4 were impacted - I don't specifically remember if they mentioned anything about the sinuses then but they did say all looked pretty bad. I did, however, make sure I could hold a reg in my mouth without any pain and also had a couple of follow ups with the surgeon to make sure it healed OK and there was no infection.

Ask ur os for progress of ur healing. Two concerns here would be some sort of squeeze involving the sinus communication and also sinus infection from exposure to marine bacteria.

6 weeks is the minimum time for unevenful soft tissue healing. I learned that 8 weeks is minimum for complete soft tissue healing from dental literature and experience see how people heal. Sinus membrane can grow back in a month in healthy conditions but its as thin as the egg shell membrane. It takes several month for for the bone to fill in.

U can premed with antibiotic but not guaranteed against infection. I dont think it worthed to fill that urge to jump in as there may be a chance chronic sinus complications. Hope this helps

I think guidelines are created for a reason.
Experienced and trained medical professionals can choose to advice contrary to a guideline depending on their assessment of the situation
>if perhaps there are certain aspects of your case that don't fit the parameters used to create the guideline in the first place.
-however, in this case, your Oral Surgeon is not familiar with diving and such cannot advise specifically.
-the safe course of action would then be to follow the guideline.

While there are always many anecdotal reports on forums (e.g. "I had XYZ procedure and went diving immediately after with no problems!"), these are ANECDOTAL
-what happened for 1 person on 1 encounter has no meaning for somebody else who might be diving 20 times.

Just as an illustration: I'm sure many people have driven after drinking. The reports of drink-driving related accidents perhaps only reflect 5% of all drink-driving encounters.
-Just because Mr. ABC drove home after a night at the club without accident does not make drink driving safe nor advisable.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom