How long does it take to complete the PADI divemaster course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My answer to this question is... as long as it takes.

There is no one plan that meets the needs of all students and all instructor's expectations. If you score lower than a 3 on any aspect of a training session it's a do-over. I can't tell anyone if they'll get each check box checked in the same number of training sessions we have check boxes.

Can it be done in a month working full-time? Yes. Can it be done by you in that period of time. I have no idea.

Rachel

I'd like to echo what has already been said but emphasize that the time consuming part is in the scheduling of the numerous internships you'll have to complete. If you are focused the studying, testing, and personal training can be completed in a month, but unless you are very lucky and are working with a large, well organized LDS it is unlikely that all the classes that you have to assist with are scheduled in that same month. In my opinion I'd give it closer to 2 to 3 months, because any number of factors can force rescheduling. And if you're taking the first step towards the professional aspect of diving you are likely wanting to spend time helping students and working with instructors, so I figure the more the merrier. I did it through a very small operation and took about 5 months.

I agree with the mayority of responses. You should take more time to do the divemaster. A long internship with assisting an instructor over a loner period is worth alot. If you need to do it in a month, look for a bigger dive resort in a popular diving destination. I did mine at Atlantis dive resort in Puerta Galera, Philippines. Highly proffesional dive staff and CDC Dive Center.
My course took me about two months, but one month is possible.

My biggest question is why in the hell would you spend a month of vacation doing DMC work? I can think of a lot more places I would rather spend a month then a classroom and pool.

Second question is why do you want to be a DM? My personal opinion is people rush too quickly through the DM program, and straight into AI and OWSI programs, and find themselves in front of a class not knowing what to do next. I have been a DM for almost 4 years now. Although my shop would love for me to move on, I am not ready to do that yet, but thats just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom