How long to wait before diving after tattoo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tattoo artist advises 2 weeks without swimming or diving in a wet suit. After my last tattoo I went diving 2 days after the tattoo (in a dry suit). You just don't really want to get it too wet and you want to avoid risk of infection. Even in the shower you need to be careful for a couple of weeks and just let water 'run over it', not pelt it. By the by, she also advises not working out at a gym for 2 weeks to minimize infection-gyms are very 'dirty' places.
Hope you enjoy your tattoo. I've got 5 and still thinking about more (after one it's an obssession!).

well if you're a good buddy, you should enter the water soon after him

I think it depends on what the tattoo looks like. Post pics!!!

I was diving in salt water 2 weeks right after, but had a big waterproof bandaid sealed over it, gooped in polysporin. No problems, but probably not the best thing to do. Definately wait for it to heal.

So I guess just like DCS, everybody is different therefore forcing a blanket statement of some safe amount of time.

At the time I added the hammerheads to my previous tattoo, I was working 6 days a week as a DM on a boat averaging about 14-16 dives a week. I waited three days (I was supposed to be off but my back up got sick) and was back to working. I took a great amount of care to glob up my art work with A & D ointment before and after each dive and made certain to clean it well.

Like DCS, who the heck really knows. Lets just say in theory :05: you should wait as long as humanly possible before giving in to your diving addiction right after inking up..

Make sure to hook us up with a photo if you get something done :wink:

A & D is the ticket, better than Neosporin for tatoos.
Nice tats Vickie.

come on that tat will be there forever dont rush getting back into the water its not going anywhere I promise,...unless you have to (job).. i had to DM next day after one of mine kind of screwed it up but I just fixed it after it healed.. ...let it heal

standard varies depending on how fast of a healer you are...etc. most folks tell you 2-4 weeks after you get the paint. need to keep it dry and out of the sun initially. i'm a fast healer. i've got 2 and went diving after about 10 days with the first one, and about 8 days after the second one. haven't had a problem either time. i dive wet. a truly dry, dry suit is a different story. think you'd be good if you put a waterproof bandage over it with some waterproof tape in a dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom