Long dives, what do you do for hydration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The caves we mostly dive into are springs.

Like... as in "Spring water."

When you're thirsty, you take the reg out of your mouth... and drink

Nobody is doing 4 hour OC dives that much anymore,
I do

Unless I'm in mexico.

Yes, even here in Mexico. No, you don't drink the water from directly under Playa or Tulum; that's the way you get hepatitis. But out in the jungle, the water is very hard, but perfectly clean.

Damned if I’d risk taking a drink with a significant decompression obligation or in an overhead. Choking on some liquid just because I wasn’t properly hydrated when I jumped in.

Multi-hour dives on a rebreather are a lot less stressful on your throat and lungs with the moist gas than on open circuit.

Always plumb in your pee valve and drink plenty of water prior to jumping in.
Do you often choke on a glass of water?
This isn't something I struggle with.
Eating underwater is different, you learn to take much smaller bites than normal as you need to have it chewed and swallowed before you get to breathe again.

Camelbak Unbottle.

I usually don’t bother till the 5hr mark, but I’ll take one with water up until the 7-8hr point then I’ll take two, the 2nd with half water half gatoraid. Boltsnap tied to the bottom or bungees to put around a deco bottle and the top strap clipped around the neck.

I’ve played around with a couple different options. I’ve used a small camelbak that I put between my doubles and ran the drinking hose along my inflator hose. That was pretty convenient. I’ve also taken small collapsible water bottles and stuffed them in my drysuit pockets. I’ve also seen people take a camelbak and bungee them to a stage bottle or deco bottle. If I’m diving in fresh water (like FL caves) I’ll usually just drink the water around me.

Do you often choke on a glass of water?
This isn't something I struggle with.
Eating underwater is different, you learn to take much smaller bites than normal as you need to have it chewed and swallowed before you get to breathe again.
Obviously needs practice to do something we do every day in an air environment where your nose is available to breathe whilst your mouth is closed, but is something that is not normal when breathing through one's mouth with the nose blocked off.

Concern is that anything heading down one's trachea will instantly cause the cough reflex that is dangerous underwater -- could cause panic.

Just did it.

Half a glass. Made my ears feel funny. Like needed cleared again.

Nothing ya'll can't handle.

Obviously needs practice to do something we do every day in an air environment where your nose is available to breathe whilst your mouth is closed, but is something that is not normal when breathing through one's mouth with the nose blocked off.

Concern is that anything heading down one's trachea will instantly cause the cough reflex that is dangerous underwater -- could cause panic.

That thought briefly went through my head when I first tried drinking underwater from my camelbak but no issues at all and it didn't even feel "weird" or unnatural. It's especially refreshing on longer saltwater dives and saltwater seepage is very minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom