How long will a BC last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like anything of quality, if it is maintained properly, it will last. Rinsing the bladder out well with fresh water, and keeping sand and dirt off the parts is part of that process.

I have BCDs that have over 1000 dives on them. I have seen BCDs with issues with 50 dives. The better care you take, the longer it will last.

Exactly 5,123 dives... then they fall apart. Seriously, I've got about 2,000 dives on the one I'm using now and I'd estimate it has another 1,000 left in it at least. When it does go, I have two more I bought on E-Bay (ScubaPro doesn't make this model any more). Of course this all depends on the conditions you dive under and the way you treat the BC (rinsing it externally and internally, etc.). I can't say I give mine tender loving care, but it keeps on ticking despite the licking.

I have BC's that date back to the late 70's, still serviceable, still dependable.

Charlie 99
Thanks a lot for detailed and thoughtful reply to my question.
Sometimes you MUST look a gift horse in the mouth, if your life is going to depend on it.

Regards,
Mike

Bought my current BCD in 1991. Bought a replacement more recently, but didn't like it so went back to my old one. No idea how many dives I have on it, but I would guess around 350 or so.

Unfortunately it's a Dacor, so unless you fancy picking one up second hand, you'll have to look somewhere else.

We see many divers with personal BCDs over 20 years, but never a reg :). Just treat them nicely out of the water and make sure you pick one you like as it will be with you for a long time. My best tip for trying one on is to wear it with a tank in it on the surface to get a feel for where the weight/pressure of the tank falls. Good luck

I have an oceanic probe with around a hundred dives on it and nearly 200 HOURS(assisting and teaching classes) in the pool. Don't know if mine's a fluke but it's still black and the only obvious wear is on the reflective trim in a few places. Otherwise it looks new.

We have a classic example of how it depends on the fabric and model at our house.

Hubby and I have the same number of dives, same amount of pool time, and same level of care (soaking and washing after each dive). They are 2 years old and have 250-ish dives on them.

Hubby's Black Diamond looks like new, nary a scuff or blem on it. However my Ladyhawk looks like it has 900 dives on it. The fabric is fading, the stitching is gone in a few places, the zipper on the accessory pocket literally fell off in my hand on dive #100, and the the pocket that holds the right side weight bag separated from the stitching. His looks fantastic, mine looks ummm.. "well loved"

Anyway, just wondering how long does a new BC typically last, errr, rather how many dives can you expect to get out of it before it needs to be replaced? That is assuming, of course, that the BC is properly taken care of after every dive (washing/rinsing/maintenence).
It may well last longer than your interest in it (the BCD, not diving) - hundred / thousands of dives are easily achieved, with reasonable care (thorough rinsing, proper storage between dives) and periodic service of the inflator valve and dump valve(s). Many people change BCDs as their diving preferences evolve, long before the BCD has any issue with performance.

Back
Top Bottom