How many cave divers said they would never be cave divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did GUE Fundamentals, I told my instructor, very earnestly, that I had no ambitions toward technical or cave diving. I just wanted to be the best recreational diver I could be.

Of course, nobody does GUE classes without being exposed to photos and videos of cave diving . . . and when I watched Andrew Georgitsis's "Mexico Cave Video" on the now-defunct ScubaGuys site, I was lost. It took several years to get INTO a cave, but my heart was gone long before that.

My husband had no interest in cave diving at all. In fact, when we went to Cozumel and I insisted on booking cavern tours, he was irked. That lasted until he completed his first cenote dive. He may be worse than I am now.

Reactions: jbm
During the grand re-opening of the LDS (big move) I overheard a dry AND wet caver (John Lilleston, Jlillest on the forums) talking to another guy. They mentioned cave diving. I told them they were crazy, they'd NEVER get me out of open water and into an overhead. That was early Feb 2012. When I bought my regs and first BPW, I told them I was going to be rec ONLY. They told me I might want an SMS100 instead, I said I'd never dive SM, tec, or cave. That was Late Feb 2012. Mid-August 2012, a buddy invited me to take Cavern/Intro with a big-name instructor. I figured I'd do Cavern/Intro....but ONLY as a way to become a better rec diver. Plans fell through. Early Dec 2012, a buddy called and invited me to take Cavern/Intro with him through Edd. Same as before, I'm using it like "Fundies" in sidemount.

First week of Jan 2013, I'm in the Cavern course and we do the first dive into overhead. I knew I was screwed. Full Cave 7/7/13, and only that late because I couldn't afford it earlier :D
I'm also now plotting a course for at least AN/DP....and probably Trimix if I can find a good excuse for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom