How many cylinders do you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pitched my S/O on the idea of getting a scuba van....she about killed me. So I guess I won't get to 30 tanks that way...
It is primarily a motorcycle van, but has done SCUBA as well. Fairly easy 4WD conversion as well (waiting for warranty to be up before I go that deep into it). Just about finished with the winch install, just the battery cables to do.

Pretty modest compared to some of you, but it's on a rather dangerous trajectory.

1998: 1 AL80
2003: 2 AL80
2010-2022: 2 AL80, 2HP130
*Sold the HP130s in '22 or early '23
2023: 2 AL80, 2 HP120

January 6, 2024: 2 AL80, 2 HP120, 2 HP100
January 26, 2024: 2 AL80, 2 HP120, 4 HP100

Those last two HP100s were actually my wife's fault. Neighbor was moving and had a yard sale. She called me and told me to come out and take a look as they had some tanks. I figured they were AL80s, but headed over. Actually were HDG PST HP100s, for practically nothing. So I had to grab them.

I miss my scuba van but sadly it wasn't the most practical daily driver and I wanted/needed something that was 4x4 for Mexico. If I had more driveway space I would have kept it.

View attachment 825939View attachment 825940View attachment 825941View attachment 825942

I "upgraded" to a pickup with a cap on it. I do miss being able to stand up and gear up in the van, especially for snowy or rainy New England days but it is a much better vehicle for Mexico or winter New England driving.

View attachment 825943

Regarding my cylinder count, it is honestly not as bad as some people. Between my wife and I if I also include rebreather bottles and suit inflations bottles (which feels like is cheating) we are in triple digits now which is scary to me.

That was a great setup you had with the van. Very close to what I was envisioning. Still a pipe dream of mine which I hope to make a reality one day when I have more space. The truck shell is the next best thing. Unfortunately, it's been hard to find a shell like that to fit my truck. Had to settle for a bed cover instead which helps to keep prying eyes away.

Also hearing triple digits makes me feel better...

That was a great setup you had with the van. Very close to what I was envisioning. Still a pipe dream of mine which I hope to make a reality one day when I have more space. The truck shell is the next best thing. Unfortunately, it's been hard to find a shell like that to fit my truck. Had to settle for a bed cover instead which helps to keep prying eyes away.

Also hearing triple digits makes me feel better...
If I ever get another van I'd probably add a large battery system so I could plug into shore power and/or charge stuff off an inverter, roof fan vents, and maybe a foldable sleep platform. I had plans to do all this but the van was starting to need some major work at 150k miles and I wanted something smaller as a daily driver.

It took me forever to find a used cap that fit my Nissan Frontier. It's unfortunately the shorter bed which is a little limited in space. I do sometimes wish I had a larger bed but I like the compact size of this pickup truck. I also built a removeable shelf for an additional layer of storage which works pretty well.

I was quoted $3000-$3500 from Leer or ARE for the top I wanted brand new. Thankfully I found pretty new top (Ranch brand) on Craigslist for $700 bucks. It's off color but I am kind of digging the black/white scheme.
IMG_20230924_163501385_HDR.jpgFB_IMG_1704659695302.jpgIMG_20231209_142735318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240110_093117009.jpg

If I ever get another van I'd probably add a large battery system so I could plug into shore power and/or charge stuff off an inverter, roof fan vents, and maybe a foldable sleep platform. I had plans to do all this but the van was starting to need some major work at 150k miles and I wanted something smaller as a daily driver.

It took me forever to find a used cap that fit my Nissan Frontier. It's unfortunately the shorter bed which is a little limited in space. I do sometimes wish I had a larger bed but I like the compact size of this pickup truck. I also built a removeable shelf for an additional layer of storage which works pretty well.

I was quoted $3000-$3500 from Leer or ARE for the top I wanted brand new. Thankfully I found pretty new top (Ranch brand) on Craigslist for $700 bucks. It's off color but I am kind of digging the black/white scheme.
View attachment 825952View attachment 825953View attachment 825954

That setup you have now is great. Really maximizes the space and you can throw a ton of gear in the back (especially with the shelf). My truck is a little bigger (older Tundra) but it's getting to the point where with two people plus rebreathers, bailout tanks, deco bottles, doubles, scooters, drysuits, etc. etc. etc...I don't think I can cram anything more into it. I'll have to resume my search for a shell since that might be the next best thing vs. a dedicated van. Now off to FB marketplace...

I pitched my S/O on the idea of getting a scuba van....she about killed me. So I guess I won't get to 30 tanks that way...
Scuba van is a must, how else do you get your tanks down to Florida for a couple weeks of diving?
1707424278528.jpeg

So. Much. Room. And you've barely even scratched the surface...
It was full, there were four more rebreathers and a lot of other gear that went. Tanks just load on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom