How many is too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been involved in a few discussion lately on the ideal number of people to include in a group dive trip. It seems there are a lot of trips posted for 12 people in the group, quite a few for 16, and now and then I see trips where 24 or even 36 people are traveling together. I'll take a group of 4 any day, maybe 6 now and then. Your thoughts? How many is too many?
I haven't found that number yet. The answer probably depends on the individual answering, the type of group, and the diving venue.
Most of our dive trips are done with either just the two of us, or with another couple who both dive.
If you prefer a group of four, by all means stick with it. Do what is most comfortable, there is not a right or wrong. We just got back from a week in Bonaire, at Buddy Dive, with a group of 27 members of our local scuba club, and it was phenomenal. Now, most of us knew each other before the trip, so there was existing familiarity and a level of comfort. But, several new divers and new members of the scuba club were on the trip and fit right in from the beginning. It was fun - only one slight misfit in the group, and that wasn't a problem - he did things on his own for the most part. Perhaps, if we went on a trip with 20 people, and didn't know any of the other 18 before the trip it might be different. But, Bonaire - and Buddy Dive - is a great place for a large group. Lots of different (shore entry) dive sites, available transportation so if you want to hook up with other couples / small groups on any given day, you can, nobody forcing a schedule on you. Get up early, sleep in, go dive at midnight - it is up to you. Our general practice was to go to breakfast, find out who was going where, and break up into various size groups on the basis of whatever sounded interesting or different. You don't have to dive, or even socialize exclusively, with the same people each day. There was also no obligation to do things as a large group. On the final evening in town, we did go out to dinner as an intimate group of 26, but that was even fun. I really like having a large group. When I go on a dive trip, I go to dive, and socializing is at most a limited part of the plan. With a group of 20, it is like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party - do something with someone and move on to the next activity. My wife has gone on a number of large group dive trips over the past decade, as a non-diver, and enjoyed having the flexibility to do whatever she wanted during the day. This year, she went to Bonaire as a diver and fit right into the flow. One caveat - I don't know how I would do in a large group on a crowded boat day after day.
My wife and I once went on a live aboard trip in a group of 18 and it was not our favorite experience.
So, what made it that way for you?
We were once on Bonaire, as a group of 2, staying at Buddy Dive. Next door at Captain Don's there was a group from California that consisted of 42 souls traveling together. I cannot imagine traveling in/with a group that size.
In 2005 we went to Bonaire with a group of 48, and it was a blast. Again, many of us knew each other already, so it was not merely 48 unaffiliated souls - and quirky personalities - arbitrarily coming together. It was really an adventure, as well. We had a delay getting out of Atlanta on our second outbound leg, ended up missing our flight from Montego Bay to Bonaire, and had to overnight there on the way down. But, the airline put us in a resort, the bar was open and free, and even a tropical monsoon that night didn't dampen our sprits (bad pun). We managed to get from the AP to the hotel, and back again in the morning, carrying a huge amount of luggage, with no mishaps. The stories still circulate through the club to this day. We have been to Honduras with a group of 20, and it was great - about 15 of us came down with a 24 hour GI problem while there, so we even shared the misery, and laughed about it - afterward.

I am probably biased, though. What consistently makes these large group trips work, from my perspective, is the personality and yeoman efforts of the shop owner. Everything - flights, accomodations etc. - is taken care of through the shop, I don't have to search for the cheapest fare, the best flight connection, the available resort space. All I have to do is pay, pack the night before and show up at the airport for the outbound flight. He is at his very best hosting / managing a large group, and thrives on the challenge of chaos. On the most recent shop trip, coming back from Bonaire, we had a very tight plane connection in Houston. Customs / Immigration was very slow, one of the trams ferrying people from the international terminal to the domestic terminals broke down, etc. Most of us were convinced we were not going to make it. He managed to not only get through Customs ahead of most of us, he stopped at an AP MacDonald's on the way to the gate and picked up 30 cheeseburgers in under 2 minutes, got to the plane, and made a personal plea to the cockpit crew to do a S-L-O-W preflight so the rest of us could make the flight, when the gate agent was all set to close the door and leave 20 of us to catch another flight 6 hours later. The pilot stepped off and told the agent to keep the door open, we literally ran through the terminal and boarded the plane, with the owner walking the aisle handing out cheeseburgers as we got seated. That was part of the fun of the trip!

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed reading your posts, and hope to see more. When Debbie and I travel alone, we always enjoy meeting new divers. We do a lot of shore diving as well as on the day boats, so like to have the independence of a small group to do that. I wonder if the small group preference/large group preference is tied to age or to diving experience level. Maybe it is mostly related to good/bad experiences when traveling with a group. Perhaps also it relates to the purpose of the dive(s). Maybe others are glad that I'm not likely to be in their group (though I will be on the boat with their group), so its a win-win situation that I avoid them for the most part. Anyway, small groups or large, happy diving to all!
DivemasterDennis

You forgot the best question.... "What time does the 9 am boat leave?"
The 9 am boat is scheduled to leave at 8:45 but might make it out by 9:30.

Based on the logistics involved in planning non-dive group trips I'm going to have to say 6 at most. I've done trips (non-diving) for as many as 20 people but it was way too much work and not enough "fun". Conversely, smaller groups say 4-8 work out really well and have tended to be less effort on any single individual but a lot of fun for everyone.

With the number of trips I have done outside the US it is always nice to know that somebody knows what line to get into for customs, has been to the airport and knows the layout and the quick way to move through from one concourse to the other. First time through, after that I know where I am and how to get there.

Every trip is still an adventure for me. What happens along the way can be written down as an experience good or bad. Getting through it is what you make it. Of course that is as long as nobody gets hurt.:D

I have "initiated" trips for several years that have ranged from as few as 6 to as many as 22. Most of the time it's anywhere from 16 to 22. Each and every trip has been great and I don't know that I can say fewer was better or the larger group was better. They were all a lot of fun! Like so many have said as long as the boat isn't overcrowded large groups are not a problem. If we have a large group like 22 we just split up on the boats.

Now I use the term "initiate" because in no way do I see myself as a "trip leader". Our trips will start with maybe me e-mailing all of our dive buddies and asking where folks would like to go or it may be me deciding I want to go to Little Cayman, for example, and then e-mailing all my friends to see who wants to join me and the party starts rolling from there.

One reason I have had so much success in getting folks to go is I am able to offer them a lower cost than going with a local dive shop. Sometimes it's hundreds less. I do that by taking the free spots and discounts/commissions and spreading the wealth over everyone's cost. No one goes for free or on someone elses dime and I find folks really like and appreciate that. As an example, I have the Aqua Cat booked for next 4th of July and because of the discounts I've mentioned I was able to discount the price of each persons trip by $415. I filled the trip up in about two weeks with a wait list.

Some folks would argue that the "trip leader" should get the free spot because of all the work that goes on in putting together a trip but I have yet to put together a trip where I have over maybe 6 to 8 hours invested max. All it takes to put together a trip is usually making a few phone calls and e-mails to the resort/liveaboard and then sending out a notice to all my friends with the details. Of course we have a great group of friends that dive together and we all are adults and act like adults. No one needs their hand held, no one needs to be told where to eat or what restaurant to go to and when, no one needs to have anything planned out for them, and folks all know to be at whatever airport they are flying from in time and bring their c-cards and passports.

I have caught some grief from one local dive shop because they say by me reducing the costs of the trips for everyone I am hurting their business and taking away their customers even though when I challenged them to name one person that bypassed a trip with them to go on a trip with me they couldn't do so.

Anyway, back on point, I don't think you can really have too many folks on a dive trip as long as the people like each other, get along, and no one takes themselves to seriously.

Twelve including instructors and students But not the captain and divemaster seems good.

Back
Top Bottom