How many lumens before the fish swim away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowdrag, huge difference between spots and spread beams in lights unfortunately, the 1k video head should be fine. I wouldn't turn the spot on unless you have to. The video patterns don't tend to spook creatures in caves that are operating in true pitch black, but if you get the hot spot from a primary near them, they dart off.

Good to know, thanks. Complete newb here when it comes to what lights work for what. :wink:

Depends on the critter.

a. Food does not like lights it can upset their vision and make them more visible

b. Eater often is attracted to lights. See part a.

If it is sunny you will surprised how LITTLE light the wide angle lights throw in the day. They will light up subjects maybe 4 feet away, further than that, you probably will not see any difference in light.

I use 4 1000 lumen DRIS lights---the original 1000 lumen modified with holographic diffusers for several years, now using the new Impact lights with video heads---and I haven't observed fish being frightened off by them. I've had fish, cormorants, seals and sea lions approach because of the lights.

For bright subjects, nudibranchs mostly, I'll swivel two of the lights away to get a better exposure.

I use 4 1000 lumen DRIS lights---the original 1000 lumen modified with holographic diffusers for several years, now using the new Impact lights with video heads---and I haven't observed fish being frightened off by them. I've had fish, cormorants, seals and sea lions approach because of the lights.
How about night dive?

If it is sunny you will surprised how LITTLE light the wide angle lights throw in the day.
It is not just during the day; you can see the difference between a standard and wide-angle light even at night. I have TWO 1000 lumen lights - one a Buechat that I use for night diving and the other an Epoch wide-angle for close video-clips. On a couple of occasions I forgot to recharge the Buechat's batteries on time and took the Epoch instead and the difference was obvious. The Epoch lit up a greater area close-up but lacked the penetrative ability of the Buechat.

Light obeys the Law of Inverse Squares and that explains why the illumination falls off so dramatically with increasing distance in wider-angle lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom