How many of u use a snorkel ?

Do u use a snorkel ??

• Yes I do use a snorkel

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No I don’t use a snorkel

Votes: 126 53.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
Do u use a snorkel ??
and is it import in every dive???
If yes why and if no why ??

I use it for surface swims to save air. I have
used it to return to the boat when I was low
and didn't want to use up my last reserve.

I had a co2 problem with it last dive. Now I
use a breath in thru snorkel and out thru nose.
Keeps the air fresher.

Hate having it bounce around though.
:(

My opinion....

I havent had a snorkel on my head since I finished my OW class 18 yrs ago. Never needed it, it just always seemed to get in the way.

The only time I ever see folks actually using em is on surf entries for some reason. Which in my mind is a real bad time. Your getting exerted from swimming hard and you've got an extra 8-10" of dead air space (CO2) you keep sucking in over and over. Which of course just makes you more tired and out of breath.

Save the snorkel for freediving.

Save on surface air consumption when peering at the bottom. The free air is always preferable, eh?

More importantly -- Makes a good baton to whack yer buddy over the noggin with if he/she makes you surface in a spot requiring an extra-long surface swim in nasty chop!

but rarely use it - only when the waves are big enough to warrant trying to keep the water out of my mouth.

I was on one dive boat recently who refused to let a paying customer dive without a snorkel (he had everything else, all his own gear and never used a snorkel). He ended up borrowing one from another diver and took an eternity to attach it to his mask and then the trip leader refused to let him in until he attached the snorkel to the RIGHT-hand side of his mask (he'd attached it to the left hand side and the leader said it would interfere with his need to access his inflator on his BC). What freaks!!

But yes, I've got one just in case I have to do a surface swim to the boat and am low on air.

Cheers!

I have found that I can slow my breathing down on long surface swims if I use a snorkel once I hit my decent point. I lie face down looking down the line or wall while my breathing rate comes back to normal. Then in goes the reg and off I go. For surface swims on my back, the snorkel just sort of hangs there, rather useless.

I also use a snorkel once I have ended the dive but there is something interesting still going on under the surface such as a friendly seal.

scuba_katt once bubbled...
... the trip leader refused to let him in until he attached the snorkel to the RIGHT-hand side of his mask (he'd attached it to the left hand side and the leader said it would interfere with his need to access his inflator on his BC). What freaks!!

What, and have interfere with his primary air source instead? Its much more prone to get in the way if you need to hand your primary off to your buddy if its on the right hand side of your head!

I always have a snorkel attached to the left side of my mask, and don't find it gets in the way at all. But then I was snorkelling and spearfishing for about four years before trying SCUBA, so its natural for me to use one whenever I'm on the surface. Just don't try to descend on one..

I don't like having it on my mask because it can get in the way but I throw it in my pocket.

The law in some areas requires it and there is a fine for violations. In some dive environments it is a good tool. And finally being an Instructor I have to set an example.

However, some folks absolutely refuse to see the value in a snorkel and they wouldn't be caught dead with one on the side of their head. If you personally feel this way but live in an area where a snorkel is enforced, then you might benefit from one of the fold-up styles that pack tightly in a BC pocket.

It's quite funny, I've seen lifeguards in Laguna Beach observe divers apparently entering the water without a snorkel. They stop and ask them to see their snorkels and divers pull out the fold-up kind. What is so funny is these snorkels are often in their original packaging with rusted staples through the plastic and cardboard goop that once was used in the store to hang the snorkel on a sales rack! These guys are doing the bare minimum to meet requirements.

I wear a dry snorkel on the left side of my mask. I teach with it and as a habit I use it all the time for surface swimming. It's second nature now, so the only time I notice it and actually wish I didn't have it on is riding a DPV at full throttle - when the little bugger whips violently back and forth against the side of my head. You know ... now that I think of it I really ought to go and get one of those fold up kind <lol>

They were totally anal that he change it to the other side and I spoke to him after and he was NOT happy about it at all, let alone the fact that it interfered with his primary regs.

Don't think he'll be spending money with that dive shop again!

Froop, I hate to admit it, but I've once started to deflate my BC at the surface with my snorkel in my mouth after waiting in the water for 5 minutes for my buddy to get his fins back on after one came loose after he jumped in. Luckily I realised before I took a big suck of seawater!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom