How many of you love diving with your spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I learned to dive together and have been diving together for 10 years. We dive in the Great Lakes as well as the tropics. He's better at navigating, I'm better at fish ID. I find the critters and he takes the video. We aren't perfect as buddies but we're used to each other and tolerant of each other's quirks.
I love having a built-in dive buddy and planning our dive trips together. And there's always something to talk about!

I love diving with my wife. She is an 80/80/80 diver (no more than 80 feet, no colder than 80 degrees, no more than 80 minutes) so we only dive together in the tropics. I am a tech diver and a working diver so I do plenty of diving without her, but I really enjoy diving with her more than almost anyone. She is a very competent diver and has good air consumption, but is not crazy about more difficult diving. I have a few buddies for that and appreciate diving with them as well.

My wife was certified in 2006. Since then, I dive 4x as much as before. "She is a 130 ft/78+ degs/as long as the gas lasts diver." We NEVER argue about when, where, or how to dive. It is great.

I love diving with my wife. She is an 80/80/80 diver (no more than 80 feet, no colder than 80 degrees, no more than 80 minutes) so we only dive together in the tropics. I am a tech diver and a working diver so I do plenty of diving without her, but I really enjoy diving with her more than almost anyone. She is a very competent diver and has good air consumption, but is not crazy about more difficult diving. I have a few buddies for that and appreciate diving with them as well.

I go diving with others on dives my wife isn't really interested in mainly night dives. But when I dive with my wife its quality time. I really feel good after we do a dive together.

I am really glad all those took time to acknowledge how much they like diving with their spouse. They didn't hold back and they announced to everyone how they felt, and what it meant to them.

This is great because it gives people a chance to reflect on what they really have, and appreciate it even more!

I was a novice Divemaster, working under two Instructors, who let me work her through all the Open Water skills under their supervision. When it came to the Open Water dives, one of the Instructors was impressed with her bouyancy skills and how she could match what she was doing to where he was in the water column. She has subsequently progressed to Advanced Open Water and I have learned so much through her skills that I am a better diver, even though I have almost 15 years more experience.

Wouldn't change a thing, I love diving with my only "student".

While I enjoy going on holidays with my wife very much, I confess I do not enjoy diving with her. She tends to be a bit careless with depth awareness when there are interesting things around and I spend most of my dive time keeping an eye on her rather than enjoying myself. As we are both AOW, she is more likely to listen to the instructions of the divemaster/instructor rather than her husband and so I usually quietly request the DM to buddy her while I have a bit more freedom. It worked well in Malta/Gozo, Cozumel, Philippines and Sipadan.

I like the idea of diving with my wife but during the last 40 years she hasn't really gotten over her fear of the water and will not take classes. We occasionally go diving in 10FSW at a protected cove; she likes the idea of diving but most times can't get over the fact there is water above her. :(

Years ago I taught her some basics and she has picked up a lot of knowledge just being there pre and post diving but the fear of water holds her back.

She does make an outstanding dive tender. She knows my gear, what gear I take for a particular type of dive and where I like it attached for easy access, and always asks me why I don't have X if I forget something. She would have made a good diver.

While I enjoy going on holidays with my wife very much, I confess I do not enjoy diving with her. She tends to be a bit careless with depth awareness when there are interesting things around and I spend most of my dive time keeping an eye on her rather than enjoying myself. As we are both AOW, she is more likely to listen to the instructions of the divemaster/instructor rather than her husband and so I usually quietly request the DM to buddy her while I have a bit more freedom. It worked well in Malta/Gozo, Cozumel, Philippines and Sipadan.

Thanks for being honest.
I get it, I felt sometimes I could have more freedom to check out more things without having o check on her sometimes. But I decided to give her my attention, because I realized seeing her enjoy the beauty of the undersea world brought a lot of joy to me. I understand your view and frustration, but I think they are worth it. Sometimes it takes a little more patience than others but they do get better in time.

Try your best to minimize those things that get on your nerves or bug you and promote the things you like about diving with her. I know it can be a bit challenging but if you can choose to see this side it will allow you try it once more with a different approach.

One of the things that I look forward to is talking about what great things we saw together on our dive.. Sharing this together is special, I did have to overcome some small issues that bugged my some. But like all things I worked it out and saw right through those things.
I try and make her experience as great as possible, simultaneously I just made my own experience feel very special.

I would encourage you to give it another try. You might be missing out on something great.

Best Regards
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Back
Top Bottom