How many of you put most of your weights in the front integrated weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had trim problems until I put two pockets on my tank strap. I put ¼ of my total weight in each and ¼ of my total weight in each front pocket of my BC (zippered). I used to put weight in the pockets that opened in the back (same location on the BC but ride to the inside of the front pockets) but there was no closure and if I leaned back on the surface they fell out. Also, I have lost weight's from the front pocket when I forgot to close the zipper on the front pockets.

I place 4 pounds in the back pockets on my bcd, and the balance in my front quick release pockets. The amount varies based upon conditions and exposure suit worn, from 4 to 8 pounds per pocket. There is nothing wrong with loading most weight in your quick release pockets, provided they are in good condition and properly secured. The op recounts an event where one of those two things was not the case. The problem would likeley been avoided with a proper predive check. Velcro secured pockets in particular need to be properly secured, and inspected by your buddy to be sure they are.
DivemasterDennis

Yeah, you need to check your trim. My weights:
total of: (7 mil farmer john wetsuit)
20 lbs. in wt. pockets
7 lbs. trim pockets
12 lbs. on weight belt.
Yes, I need 39 lbs. with an AL80 tank--been proven lots.

I place 4 pounds in the back pockets on my bcd, and the balance in my front quick release pockets. The amount varies based upon conditions and exposure suit worn, from 4 to 8 pounds per pocket. There is nothing wrong with loading most weight in your quick release pockets, provided they are in good condition and properly secured. The op recounts an event where one of those two things was not the case. The problem would likeley been avoided with a proper predive check. Velcro secured pockets in particular need to be properly secured, and inspected by your buddy to be sure they are.
DivemasterDennis
I would like make sure I am clear on this. Part of my buddy check was to ensure that her weights were properly lock in. She did how ever recalled fumbling around for the zipper pocket when her weight came off. The equipment was not faulty but it was an accident that can happen to anyone. Accidents can happen to anyone don't you agree? It funny no one wants to recognize this fact, they simply ignor it or just say I have never heard of this happening to anyone. Its simply amazes me!

The quick release tether I was suggesting any manufacturer come up with, would have to be a safe measure to use in the case of an accidental ditch.
This being said there are many that say this can not be done! How do they know this. Why are they so convinced, especially since they haven't even tried or have any experience in producing a product. I always think all things are possible if you put your mind to it, sorry to disappoint the "na sayers" I don't think like them.Perhaps instead of saying no no no leave some room for maybe or perhaps it is possible if you can do something like..... Anyone can say no it can't be done, that easy!

Well I guess there is not as many of you as I originally thought on this board. I was under the impression that there are a lot of divers who like using most of their weights in the quick release pockets. Oh well, perhaps some have not seen this post or are embarrassed to admit that they like to stuff most of their weights in these pockets, and not practice distributing there weight more evenly in different areas. What ever the reason I do know that there are many who practice this including my dive buddy and all of our friends, instructors and dive masters we know. I know it is not there fault for continuing this habit because they were taught this by their dive school. So it is no surprise for all the confusion, and the different opinions on what is right and wrong in this area.

I am merely opening a discussion which I take personally, since I saw first hand what can happen when you lose one of your primary weight.
There a lot of good comments, thoughts and different points of view on this important topic. Perhaps those reading will get something good out of this like: double check there gear or rental especially their weights for proper condition and if they are secured. They should also be aware what they are doing near their weight pockets so they don't inadvertently unlock their weights.

I am merely opening a discussion
...which people participate in, with arguments and opinions based on their own experience. And some of those who have replied are very experienced, so it might just be that they have a point or two.

which I take personally
Obviously. To me, you seem overtly defensive when people disagree with you. Here's a tip: When discussing on the Internet, don't take it personally.

I don't take it personally, I just want to leave room for optimism and I am very respectful towards others who disagree. The only thing I want to point out is some focus on only the negative aspects of what I am proposing and I don't think this way I like to solve problems and there is nothing personal about it only a clear objective. My reference to "personally" pertains to the fact that the incident happened to my dive buddy on our last dive. I did not mean that I took others comments personally in any way. I don't want to inflame you about your tip but perhaps you misjudged me.

Lets try to focus on what can be learned and help others avoid a situation like my dive buddy. We all want to be safe when diving that is the goal of this thread.

I think you will see from my original post that I did give some suggestions that manufacturers have come up with to deal with this problem. The scubapro buckle. IT is a positive click in connection that I see as very difficult to accidentally release but not hard to release when you need to and the DUI rip cord system that requires a very long pull of the handle (Almost 1ft) before the pocket is fully released.

As for me, I don't have any ditchable weight anymore, but I also have redundant bouyancy and I can swim up my rig if I need to.

I would suggest that most people need to get training and then continue their education with further training and reading discussions such as these on the internet. Instructors are only human. Some are great, some are good and some are bad. It's hard to know which you have when you do your first openwater class. Only experience and variety on inputs will help you to determine this.

I don't take it personally, I just want to leave room for optimism and I am very respectful towards others who disagree. The only thing I want to point out is some focus on only the negative aspects of what I am proposing and I don't think this way I like to solve problems and there is nothing personal about it only a clear objective. My reference to "personally" pertains to the fact that the incident happened to my dive buddy on our last dive. I did not mean that I took others comments personally in any way. I don't want to inflame you about your tip but perhaps you misjudged me.

Lets try to focus on what can be learned and help others avoid a situation like my dive buddy. We all want to be safe when diving that is the goal of this thread.
I understand your point, but I don't think creating a design flaw that could potentially leave a diver negative in a rescue situation is the answer to compensate for a design flaw in your buddy's gear. You can recover from most DCS situations, especially those within recreational dive limits. But you don't generally recover from drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean ditch at *depth* not being a solution? Because DAN accident reports are full of "failure to ditch weights at the *surface*" being an issue in fatalities.

For example, in cold water with heavy exposure protection a diver could have 30 lbs of weights even if properly weighted. Ditching at the surface some or all (depending how weights are configured) in a medical emergency or other stress is what is recommended.

Read it with the paragraph I wrote immediately after the one you quoted.

Theoretical solutions that "should" have happened quite often do not occur, usually due to operator error caused by induced stress.

What I said was, weights seldom get ditched, even when that is a viable solution... Just as your DAN reference alludes.

There are 1,000+ patents out there for alternate SCUBA weighting and mechanical release systems. Likely there are some that are better options than what we have today... Even if you can get past the unique mechanical training issues.

Mount a "safety covered" button at the sternum. Activate the button, explosive bolts cause the weights to eject.

But the big barrier still remains- you gotta find that trigger under stress, then you have to make the decision to activate it.

Adding a "post-ditch" tether requiring a second, subsequent and different release trigger activation is likely a functional impossibility under stress.

Neither act/event going to completion (getting done) has proven to be likely at a necessary moment.

My BCD is weight integrated. My front pockets have a locking mechanism, which requires a fairly hard pull on the handles to release. I've never had them fall out. I have six pounds in each front pocket and one pound on each side of the tank in the back. I am thinking of reducing my lead by another two pounds soon, as I think 14 is a bit heavy for me now. P.S. weight belts don't work for people with no buttocks...I spent most of my time pulling up weight belts when I have worn them, no matter how tight I made it....I am buttocks challenged.....LOL. The condition is lack of Gluteus Maximus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom