How many times to clear a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and showed in slow motion how easy it is and how the student did not need to blast.

...Don't exhale too fast through your nose. A controlled, deliberate, and prolonged exhale will push out more water than will a sharp snort.

...A slow, gentle stream of air through your nose WILL remove the water...

Excellent advice given above.
In actuality, very little air is needed to displace (as opposed to remove) the water in your mask with air. Pressing the top of your mask may also be too strong a word. All you need to do is add a little pressure to insure that the air pushes the water out the bottom of your mask.

Loosen your mask as it may be too tight, causing a distortion in the skirt and prohibiting the skirt to form properly around your face.

Kat,

I didn't read all of the responses very carefully but I have something to add. It's possible I'm repeating someone.

1) First of all read and re-read Walter's post.

2) You don't need other gear. People who suggest buying different gear for a skills related issue usually don't have the answer. If you buy a new mask, you'll still have this problem.

3) Once you get this down you should be able to clear a 1/2 gallon milk-jug with 4 breaths. All modern masks are low enough volume that one breath is sufficient.

I'm just guessing here, because I haven't seen you in the water but from your description I am *guessing*

a) that you aren't looking up high enough
and
b) that you're probably losing air you exhale either through your mouth or by lifting the skirt of the mask and both letting air escape plus "scooping" water.

The solutions to these problems are easy. For (a) just consciously look up until you see the surface of the water. If you're doing the skill while horizontal and/or swimming you might need to just move your head back as far as it goes and possibly slow down and get a little bit (don't over-do it) vertical.

The solution to the other problem is to not pull the mask off of your face. All it takes is one finger to hold the mask against your face. you place the finger at the top of teh frame between your eyes. Just hold the mask there, don't *push* it on or it will deform the seal and probably result in leaks. Just hold, don't push. If you're thinking "the water won't get out if you do that" then just try it. The water gets out.

To avoid losing air through your mouth push your tongue up behind your top teeth. For most people it's like a miracle. You'll immediately stop exhaling through your mouth.

Good luck.
R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom