How much Carbon in a tank is no good at 130 ft ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading this thread, and becoming very fascinated with the concept of "An acceptable level of CO" - I recently purchased an Analox CO tester, and so far the only thing that has registered any reading on it has been my breath, (documented way to test it) and my cars exhaust. I have probably tested 15-20 tanks with it so far, and all have read 0. The thing that pushed me to purchase it is that I have been doing a lot of international travel, and based on posts here, and news accounts, I really do not want to take a chance on a bad compressor somewhere killing or injuring my family or I. I have a trip to Cozumel coming up very soon. Is it going to be "the norm" to measure tanks at 2 and 3 ppm there? I hear people casually talking about registering these levels and still diving. I am not interested in breathing gas that registers any value on a CO analyzer. Is zero ppm too stringent of a "standard" for me to uphold on a regular basis? I realize that I have only tested a handful of tanks, so I dont have much of a basis to speak from.

I was reading this thread, and becoming very fascinated with the concept of "An acceptable level of CO" - I recently purchased an Analox CO tester, and so far the only thing that has registered any reading on it has been my breath, (documented way to test it) and my cars exhaust.
:eek: Uh, don't check your car exhaust again. You can foul a sensor. Just use your breath, the bump gas can sold by Analox, or maybe order a can of CO under 100 ppm from a gas supplier - expensive! I'm sure the manual did not suggest checking cars. :shakehead: I know, a well tuned car with a good catalic converter, warmed up, should not produce more than 10 ppm - but that's not dependable. I can show you dozens of news stores a year of people who died from a car running in a garage and fumes entering the house.

I have probably tested 15-20 tanks with it so far, and all have read 0. The thing that pushed me to purchase it is that I have been doing a lot of international travel, and based on posts here, and news accounts, I really do not want to take a chance on a bad compressor somewhere killing or injuring my family or I. I have a trip to Cozumel coming up very soon. Is it going to be "the norm" to measure tanks at 2 and 3 ppm there? I hear people casually talking about registering these levels and still diving. I am not interested in breathing gas that registers any value on a CO analyzer. Is zero ppm too stringent of a "standard" for me to uphold on a regular basis? I realize that I have only tested a handful of tanks, so I dont have much of a basis to speak from.
I think it would be quite reasonable of you to check your tanks before you leave the dock, mark them however you wish, and reject any over 3 ppm. Since the unit rounds off to closest 1 ppm, and we are dealing with such a small number - getting a 1 or 2 could be more likely how you handled the unit plus rounding off.

Last edited:
If an accident happens to someone, try to get to their tank and test it yourself with a trusted witness before authorities secure it, say it's to help in treatment if the diver is alive -

I'd be really, really careful about this. This could easily be construed as tampering with evidence, and depending on jurisdiction and agencies involved, could land you a front row seat in the hoosegow.

I'd be really, really careful about this. This could easily be construed as tampering with evidence, and depending on jurisdiction and agencies involved, could land you a front row seat in the hoosegow.
If CPR does not revive you, I'd be glad to take the chance while they haul your body to the ambulance. Many dive destination clinics lack the ability to test blood well enough and they'd need to know if I found CO in your tank, or - if you don't make it, I'd want your heirs to know.

For best results, check your tanks before you dive them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom