How much does it cost to BE a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're going after the scuba education, take the NAUI master diver course. If you're going for the leadership training to become an instructor, then take the NAUI masterdiver course, then the divemaster course. No, I'm not NAUI, but I did do the course. Very through and tough.

Besides the annual membership fees, the yearly insurance, the cost to stay current with training......Be prepared to spend money being a DM, not making money! I'm talking about your average landlocked DM or one who does not work a charter boat or is in a position to make customer tips.

You'll be told what a great discount you'll get and all the free air you can have. That's great up to a point. But after you have bought your new set of gear and computer, that discount won't count for much. You'll more than likely only get that discount from the dive shop you are working with, not all dive shops you go to. And all that free air will be used in a class situation anyway.

Most dive shops will schedule you for classes every weekend if you let them. Yes, at first it's a blast. But every single weekend, either pool time or OW checkouts and other classes, will really take a toll on your personal life, not to mention you seldom have room for fun diving on your own. If you wear your own gear during pool sessions, you'll be replacing alot of that gear yearly because the pool chlorine will literally eat it, especially anything with neoprene. Even with a discount, that's more money out of your pocket. Always try to use rental gear in the pool.

For those checkout weekends....in this area, until a new scuba park opened close by, we had to drive about 2 hours away (and many shops in the area still go here) which required a hotel stay, eating out, etc. for the weekend. That adds up to a minimum of $100 per weekend. Some instructors would buy our dinner on Sat. night but not even the dive shop would cover our travel or room expenses. And don't count on student tips, the concept never occurs to them and it's not mentioned during their class.

The first year Beast and I worked as DM's it cost us about $1500 each, that's not counting the cost of the class, insurance, or gear. On the other hand, it's the most rewarding thing you'll ever do for yourself, which make it worth everything. Just don't make the mistake alot of us did and work every weekend. You'll get burned out really quick that way. Take at least one weekend a month and dive for you, whether that means your local mudhole with your friends or a quick trip offshore...just don't neglect yourself in the process.

Dee once bubbled...
another perspective
Dee,

As one who's been there with a lot of good info on the subject, would you care to add anything on the tax implications of being able to write off diving related expenses?

Thanks.

Keep recepts for everything, of course! I can't quote you any particulars, it's been a few years but don't expect alot of deductions, at least nothing near what you are lead to expect. We found that it depends alot on who's preparing your taxes and what they believe is allowable, some accept more than others. But bottom line for us was the little bit we saved was not worth the hassle of the paperwork, book keeping, and worry all year long. Unless you can prove 100% of that spent money was used to lose you money, it's not allowed! As DM's it's considered a hobby and you only have 3 years (I think) to show some sort of profit before nothing is allowed. Unless you have an Enron-esque accountant, don't bother!

Instructors are different because they can run theirs through as a small business.

Dee is right. Don't expect a lot of deductions. If I remember what my accountant explained I must make a profit 1 out of every three years ,even if I don't take all of my legit deductions,or it is a hobby. My accountant is straight laced but then he's never done jail time for his tax filings either. (Ever wonder how all the airlines lose money EVERY year and they aren't considered hobbies?)

Don't expect to make enough to pay for your dm class unless you can work at a resort or on a boat. After paying for your insurance, dues, any required gear that your shop requires it will be a while before the free air fills will make up the difference.

That's about what I expected, I just wanted to hear it from someone who's been there and done that.

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
I'm a NAUI DM ... and yes, as others have said once you reach that level you have to pay membership dues and insurance. For NAUI the membership is $90 annually. Insurance runs quite a bit higher ... mine was about $350.

Is this insurance from NAUI? Can I choose to get a insurance from DAN instead? In PADI is it the same situation?

Regards

Fábio

NAUI is the same as PADI however in that you need to pay your annual membership fee regardless BUT you only need to pay the insurance if you are activly performing the duties of a DM.

Pete

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
If you're going after the scuba education, take the NAUI master diver course. If you're going for the leadership training to become an instructor, then take the NAUI masterdiver course, then the divemaster course. No, I'm not NAUI, but I did do the course. Very through and tough.

I could not agree more. With NAUI it is MUCH more then 5 specialties and rescue. It is a comprehensive knowledge based certification. It is very challenging and a great prep course for any leadership training.

Pete

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Heck, I even stopped in at a competitor's store for air, and he didn't charge me. When I asked why he said "professional courtesy".

So there are benefits to offset the costs ... at least up here in my neck of the woods ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Glad to see that happen to you. I tried to be nice once, gave a free fill to a dm. He showed back up the next day with 6 tanks that needed visuals. Wanted me to do vis and fill them for free, since he was a dm. He told me it wouldn't cost me to fill them since I was running my compressor already.. :wacko: I told him I appreciated his offer but I'd pass. Strange, he hasn't been back since. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom